Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Hey, nothing sucks in this list!

I agree, it doesn't, but most don't really fit the "cool" thing in the way the thread means. I don't mean, like, "Wow, this song makes me really cool by listening to it," I mean more that the song has an intrinsic "cool" sound to it. Here's a few more:

"Dry the Rain" - The Beta Band
"Moneymaker" - Rilo Kiley
"All The Young Dudes" - Mott the Hoople (this one less than the other two)

I'm not really sure how to put what I'm looking for into words, but I think there are definitely people who have understood where I was going with it.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Oh - pretty much anything by Black Rebel Motorcycle Club.

ETL2424

Nov 9, 2008
Tha Crossroads--Bone Thugs-n-Harmony
It's Goin' Down--Celly Cel
From Nothin' to Somethin'--Fabolous
Slow Jamz--Twista/Kanye West
Choppin' up Paper--Do or Die
Be Alright--Do or Die
The Wind--Zac Brown Band
Toes--Zac Brown Band
Kick it in the Sticks--Brantley Gilbert
Alibis--Tracy Lawrence
HYFR--Drake
Headlines--Drake
Red Solo Cup--Toby Keith
Beer For my Horses--Toby Keith/Willie Nelson
Luven Me--Nelly
Ride Wit Me--Nelly
Rosa Parks--OutKast
Ms. Jackson--OutKast
Pain--2Pac
Dre Day--Dr. Dre/Snoop
Where oh Where--Buck Owens
Springsteen--Eric Church
Drink in my Hand--Eric Church
Renegade--Fabolous
Somethin' to Ride to--5th Ward Boyz
Midnight in Montgomery--Alan Jackson
If you Loved me--Tracy Lawrence

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
I agree, it doesn't, but most don't really fit the "cool" thing in the way the thread means. I don't mean, like, "Wow, this song makes me really cool by listening to it," I mean more that the song has an intrinsic "cool" sound to it. Here's a few more:

I'm not really sure how to put what I'm looking for into words, but I think there are definitely people who have understood where I was going with it.

How can you mention Rilo Kiley and not mention "Smokedetector" ;-)

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
[video=youtube;jofNR_WkoCE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jofNR_WkoCE#t=152[/video]

A friend showed me this. It was life changing.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

How dare you.

You fools! The obvious answer is:

Angie-Rolling Stones

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
How can you mention Rilo Kiley and not mention "Smokedetector" ;-)

LOVE that song. :) I debated between the two, but I think I'd just heard "Moneymaker" on my iPod.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Long Cool Woman -- The Hollies Do It Again -- Steely Dan Down By The Seaside --Robert Plant and Tori Amos Gimme Shelter -- Stones Everybody Here Wants You -- Jeff Buckley The One I Love -- REM

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Holy crap! I just realized as I was reading thru that this is an old thread -- when I ran across some of my own posts!

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
I believe that Sympathy for the Devil might be the greatest Rocknroll song of all time. Paint it Black is my ringtone for my phone.

Truth be told, I'm not a huge Stones fan, but I've learned to appreciate The Stones and Beatles more over time. They were pretty amazing.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I believe that Sympathy for the Devil might be the greatest Rocknroll song of all time. Paint it Black is my ringtone for my phone.

Truth be told, I'm not a huge Stones fan, but I've learned to appreciate The Stones and Beatles more over time. They were pretty amazing.

I love the Stones, and really like the Beatles. They each do what they do, and it's fairly specific. Stones are straight-up rock, but they throw in orchestral stuff, or really sparse beautiful stuff like "Wild Horses." The Beatles really just sort of changed the face of music. IMO, "Revolver" was the pinnacle of their career, but I'm not one of those "I only like early Beatles" or "I only like late Beatles" people - it's all pretty amazing.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007
Love the thread.

I've always thought found some of Bruce Springsteens music from the 1970's-early 80's to be very "cool". Some of his best work IMO were songs over 5 minutes long (closer to 8+ minutes), so they wouldn't ever get radio play.

Jungleland
Backstreets
New York City Serenade

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Not sure how I could forget "Stray Cat Strut." Only a little jimlad.

Help Support Us

Become a patron