Who is in the (BIG) Cyclone Camp?

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
All this talk about divisions, but 16 team conferences would have to be considering pods, no?

Both work. It just depends on how many conference games you want, and how many years you want it to take to play everyone home and away.

Divisions make it easier to determine CCG participants, though (assuming CCGs are still a thing by then).

cyatheart

Nov 18, 2008
IF, and that's a big IF, the B1G even wants to expand.... I think nearly every school in the B1G would welcome us.... except for Iowa. Iowa hates us with a passion, and right now are VERY worried about our success.

If Iowa has an objection due to proximity or worried about our success…neb, minn, nw, ill and Wisconsin would have the same objection…big 10 would be letting a top 10 football team right into their backyard

MeanDean

Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
If Iowa has an objection due to proximity or worried about our success…neb, minn, nw, ill and Wisconsin would have the same objection…big 10 would be letting a top 10 football team right into their backyard
I see what you're thinking - but wouldn't this be a reason for SEC not to grab OU (and to a much lesser extent, UT)?

Strengthening the conference is what should drive expansion. ISU is on the cusp of greatness - if CMC stays and (I think) he will if we are B1G.

Reactions: NWICY

BMWallace

Sep 11, 2011
Chicago, IL
Both work. It just depends on how many conference games you want, and how many years you want it to take to play everyone home and away.

Divisions make it easier to determine CCG participants, though (assuming CCGs are still a thing by then).
I would hope 16 team conferences go with 4 divisions/pods. For the theoretical scenario where ISU and KU are invited to the B1G, I want to see these:
East Pod: Rutgers, Maryland, Penn St, Ohio St
Central Pod: Michigan, Michigan St, Indiana, Purdue
North Pod: Illinois, Minnesota, Northwestern, Wisconsin
West Pod: Iowa, Iowa St, Kansas, Nebraska

That would allow for a nine game conference schedule where each team plays their pod every year, and plays 2 teams from the other 3 pods, alternating matchups each year (or on a rolling schedule)

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Literally almost every Iowa alum and fan that I’ve talked to wants Iowa State in the Big 10. People need to learn that fans who post on social media apps aren’t representative of the whole- it’s a vocal minority and it consists of trolls.
This is so true. My Hawk friends feel the same way. They would love to see it.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I would hope 16 team conferences go with 4 divisions/pods. For the theoretical scenario where ISU and KU are invited to the B1G, I want to see these:
East Pod: Rutgers, Maryland, Penn St, Ohio St
Central Pod: Michigan, Michigan St, Indiana, Purdue
North Pod: Illinois, Minnesota, Northwestern, Wisconsin
West Pod: Iowa, Iowa St, Kansas, Nebraska

That would allow for a nine game conference schedule where each team plays their pod every year, and plays 2 teams from the other 3 pods, alternating matchups each year (or on a rolling schedule)

With 4 pods and no semifinal structure, who plays in the CCG?

20eyes

May 15, 2020
A Hawk buddy called me during work on Friday just to talk about all this and said, "We're getting our wish, Cyclones to the Big Ten"...put me in the group who's only heard positive talk from Hawk friends. I have many, btw. They could be shining on their Clone friend, but in my little sample size I think they're genuinely for it. None of these guys have any juice though, lol...

20eyes

May 15, 2020
A Hawk buddy called me during work on Friday just to talk about all this and said, "We're getting our wish, Cyclones to the Big Ten"...put me in the group who's only heard positive talk from Hawk friends. I have many, btw. They could be shining on their Clone friend, but in my little sample size I think they're genuinely for it. None of these guys have any juice though, lol...

Reactions: OnlyCyclones
Jul 12, 2021
I for one want us to land in the B1G when the realignment music stops simply because I feel like we're finally in a position to get consistent revenge on Nebraska for what they did to us in the 90's (granted, I was born in 1996, but still).

And the potential Otz vs. Hoiberg matchups in MBB are a *spicy* storyline that I feel like not a lot of people are picking up on.

• Winner
Reactions: casey1973

allfourcy

Apr 26, 2012

I guess that is a positive take. I just tried to put it in reverse for the fun of it and reflect on how I would feel if Iowa was invited and came into the Big12. After the shock of that hypothetical thought, my take ...well, we play them anyway, and we definitely don't want super leagues or some dreadful downfall of the conference system, and college sports is so important to be relevant in our state, so why not?

Reactions: 20eyes

MeanDean

Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Top two teams overall, by conference win percentage and weighted by SOS in the event of a tie?

No idea.
Seeded semi-finals. Pod winner w/best record plays pod winner with worst record. (Ties factor in head to head if those games were played.) Other two play. Winners advance to CCG.

That said, I'd still prefer 2 eight team divisions

Help Support Us

Become a patron