Who is in the (BIG) Cyclone Camp?

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.

BCClone

Sep 4, 2011
North Iowa
Just glancing at the list, I assume that if ISU and KU joined, one obvious option would be for Purdue to flip to the East?

I’m not sure how switching to three separate divisions would work.
16/3 doesn’t make good math. They would need to add 4 to go 3 divisions. Best for us if they didnt probably.

Reactions: Aclone

BCClone

Sep 4, 2011
North Iowa

IceCyIce

Aug 17, 2009
Grimes
adding two teams would allow the BIG to internally reset conference alingment. The west is far inferior to the east. Ballance it out, keep your protected rivalry game, and set up one hell of a finish at the end for the championship game.

CyTwister

Aug 30, 2019
Some of the takes on here are so delusional. Here’s the things that are true:

AAC fans think B12 schools should join the AAC and many have HORRIBLE takes like “the AAC is better than the B12 without OU and UT”. They think at the least, Cincy, Memphis, UCF, Houston etc should join the B12 and want it to happen BADLY.

B12 fans DO NOT want AAC schools to join the B12. They would be BUMMED if it happens. Many ISU fans (and KU)don’t understand why the B1G wouldn’t want them.

B1G fans DO NOT want B12 schools like ISU and KU. We’re not ND, UNC, UVA, etc. We share a limited market, we’re not historically elite with built in advantages, the state of Iowa isn’t a growing population and economic base like Colorado (Boulder is near the fast growing Denver market), it’s just not exciting to them and we don’t add much other than being respectable for 4 seasons straight in football. Just as we don’t want Cincy and Memphis who are big market teams, they don’t want us.

Rutgers and Maryland was a game changing move at the time that hasn’t aged well. Nebraska was a powerhouse 10 years removed from being a dynasty. Missouri was a top team with a whole state locked down.

Iowa will not block ISU from getting in the B1G. It would save them an OOC game and the BOR wouldn’t allow that. Don’t forget Barta helped us out big time in getting the Fiesta Bowl over IU.

But at the end of the day, it makes a lot more sense for the B1G to do nothing versus add some teams that are just ok. An underlying story is when will conferences start to kick out members or when will other mass exoduses occur such as PSU, UM, OSU.

allfourcy

Apr 26, 2012
Some of the takes on here are so delusional. Here’s the things that are true:

AAC fans think B12 schools should join the AAC and many have HORRIBLE takes like “the AAC is better than the B12 without OU and UT”. They think at the least, Cincy, Memphis, UCF, Houston etc should join the B12 and want it to happen BADLY.

B12 fans DO NOT want AAC schools to join the B12. They would be BUMMED if it happens. Many ISU fans (and KU)don’t understand why the B1G wouldn’t want them.

B1G fans DO NOT want B12 schools like ISU and KU. We’re not ND, UNC, UVA, etc. We share a limited market, we’re not historically elite with built in advantages, the state of Iowa isn’t a growing population and economic base like Colorado (Boulder is near the fast growing Denver market), it’s just not exciting to them and we don’t add much other than being respectable for 4 seasons straight in football. Just as we don’t want Cincy and Memphis who are big market teams, they don’t want us.

Rutgers and Maryland was a game changing move at the time that hasn’t aged well. Nebraska was a powerhouse 10 years removed from being a dynasty. Missouri was a top team with a whole state locked down.

Iowa will not block ISU from getting in the B1G. It would save them an OOC game and the BOR wouldn’t allow that. Don’t forget Barta helped us out big time in getting the Fiesta Bowl over IU.

But at the end of the day, it makes a lot more sense for the B1G to do nothing versus add some teams that are just ok. An underlying story is when will conferences start to kick out members or when will other mass exoduses occur such as PSU, UM, OSU.

Just how did Barta help us out 'bigtime'? Serious and curious question for information sake, that's all. I mean he didn't make up the whole committee, did he?
Was he a prime spokeperson for us and/or a deciding vote? If true, as you say, then good to hear.

bsaltyman

One flip wonder
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
Who did you talk to and what did they say?
It’s not like I talked to JP, but I know a guy that’s connected pretty well. I usually don’t like to pester him with questions. I just asked where ISU will end up, and he said B1G. He mentioned AAU status helping us. So, I can’t say it’s a sure thing, but just getting that answer from him was enough for me to feel better about the whole thing.

allfourcy

Apr 26, 2012
Literally almost every Iowa alum and fan that I’ve talked to wants Iowa State in the Big 10. People need to learn that fans who post on social media apps aren’t representative of the whole- it’s a vocal minority and it consists of trolls.

Admittedly, I havent asked one person, especially friends that are Iowa fans. LOL, I think I'm hesitant as to what they might say or if they are really being totally honest. As for the ones you talked to, did you sense it was because it heightened the rivalry, or made the Big10 bigger/better conference to keep up with SEC, or because of their success the last 5 years and years before they think they would still beat us the majority of years?

allfourcy

Apr 26, 2012
It’s not like I talked to JP, but I know a guy that’s connected pretty well. I usually don’t like to pester him with questions. I just asked where ISU will end up, and he said B1G. He mentioned AAU status helping us. So, I can’t say it’s a sure thing, but just getting that answer from him was enough for me to feel better about the whole thing.

I agree the AAU status helps, it seems the most logical destination, but why do I still feel those who say the Big10 are just echoing that logic or desire, but have no basis for their opinion.

qwerty

Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Literally almost every Iowa alum and fan that I’ve talked to wants Iowa State in the Big 10. People need to learn that fans who post on social media apps aren’t representative of the whole- it’s a vocal minority and it consists of trolls.
Not calling you a troll but I post on social media and I sure don't think I am a troll. But then, I don't post **** takes and intentionally false statements either. If you are saying all Iowa posters are trolls, then you are in effect calling all ISU posters trolls too. Not true for either fanbase. Now the loud and obnoxious ones, sure they probably are and they revel in it.

1627235515085.png

CyTwister

Aug 30, 2019
Just how did Barta help us out 'bigtime'? Serious and curious question for information sake, that's all. I mean he didn't make up the whole committee, did he?
Was he a prime spokeperson for us and/or a deciding vote? If true, as you say, then good to hear.

yeah that’s fair. I kinda saw it as he talked up ISU big time when he could have said much less. At the very least he didn’t diss us when we are a big competitor of his in Iowa for resources when he was the committee spokesperson.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Admittedly, I havent asked one person, especially friends that are Iowa fans. LOL, I think I'm hesitant as to what they might say or if they are really being totally honest. As for the ones you talked to, did you sense it was because it heightened the rivalry, or made the Big10 bigger/better conference to keep up with SEC, or because of their success the last 5 years and years before they think they would still beat us the majority of years?
I think it’s more a combination of we’re all college sports fans and love the universities. We don’t want to see college football completely change, and we don’t want to see either one of our state’s programs fall off the map.

It’s more fun when our programs are both doing well. Fans may watch more of the other team, there’s a respect and fans of college sports in general have more to talk about when that excitement and success is there. People don’t want to see that done away with.

Look back to last year, everyone didn’t know if we’d even have a season around this time, when there are no sports to talk about, you’re losing some of that camaraderie. Obviously life moves on and there are other things to converse or connect on, but college sports are different here in Iowa. We live and breathe our universities. It’s a way of life here.

It’s just hard to describe because it’s an intangible fabric woven into our society. But it’s every bit of part of being an Iowan, is being a Cyclone or a Hawkeye. That’s the vibe I get.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
Not calling you a troll but I post on social media and I sure don't think I am a troll. But then, I don't post **** takes and intentionally false statements either. If you are saying all Iowa posters are trolls, then you are in effect calling all ISU posters trolls too. Not true for either fanbase. Now the loud and obnoxious ones, sure they probably are and they revel in it.

View attachment 87397
No, I’m just saying it’s important to consider though that part of that vocal minority of opinions that people are reading on social media apps has trolls in it- those expressed statements are outliers and not necessarily a reflection of the fan base as a whole.

I’m just saying from the conversations I’ve had, many people are on board and want it to happen. Just because some guy says he wants to see Iowa State relegated to the MAC with all the other farm schools, it doesn’t mean all Iowa fans feel that way- because they certainly don’t.

Reactions: cyence

Help Support Us

Become a patron