Vegas Trip

yler4cy

Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA
I went to Vegas this past December and it has changed greatly. Hopefully by September it will be better. Friday and Saturday night most of the bigger hotels on the strip have you go thru metal detectors or wanded you before entering. Everybody that was staying in the room had to get their own card and you had to swipe the card to show that it was active to even get to the elevators. They don't allow coolers in the rooms either. As mentioned things may change, but everyone kept saying that people come in from California and we're taking advantage of the cheap rooms and completely destroying them so they're really forcing restrictions. We stayed at the Wynn is where we got wanded.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
I used to travel 3-4 times a year to California. Always stopped at LV for weekend on way back. Never rented a car. Everything is tight/close. . Don't worry about (under) tipping the airport cabbies. Regardless of the (size) of your tip, you will get treated like $hit.

Two days craps/black jack is all I could stand. If you haven't played, look over the "how to" booklets before ya go.

NEVER went to any shows. The shows you might want to see are either not available or over the top $$$$. Then, you end up seeing some dumb "blue man" for $$$, just to please the wife.

If you want to hike to the Phantom Ranch (overnite), you will need an advance permit. If you don't have time to hike the Canyon, go there another time. Don't spend $$$ for a helicopter ride, and say you have been to the Grand Canyon.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
You definitely further the stereotype that ISU fans are cheap.
And yet I'm able to sleep. I just don't throw money away on food. One needs to leave room for beer. I can't drink on a full stomach. It's a curse that has saved my lfe, I'm sure.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I had a friend that was a performer out in Vegas and I visited him and he took me to tons.of shows....I always tell people, Mac King is probably one of the best value shows, super.funny, family friendly, and classic Vegas entertainment. http://www.mackingshow.com/mobile/enter.html

Also to note, many shows are dark on Sunday/Monday, so look.a head if you want to take in a show knowing your Saturday with the game will be out.

• Informative
Reactions: BigD

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
1 mile from the phog
And yet I'm able to sleep. I just don't throw money away on food. One needs to leave room for beer. I can't drink on a full stomach. It's a curse that has saved my lfe, I'm sure.

People find value in different things. Some of my favorite memories of dining out with my wife were outrageously expensive, but somehow we managed to pay the mortgage.

• Agree
Reactions: 83cy and Cyclonscin

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
People find value in different things. Some of my favorite memories of dining out with my wife were outrageously expensive, but somehow we managed to pay the mortgage.
I don't have a problem with people spending a lot of money on a meal.

Reactions: Scott34

GrindingAway

Nov 27, 2006
Heart Attack Grill? This guy started in Chandler, AZ and makes no bones about his food. 10,000 calorie burger

Funny Iowa State story about the one in Chandler. I was there for work and a few of us had just seen something on TV about the place before we went down there. We happened to drive by after dinner, since we had just eaten we stopped in for a drink. The bar was a tiny spot right by the grill. I had on an Iowa State shirt and the fry cook says "hey I graduated from Iowa State" I said "what was your major?" "Electrical Engineering, but man this is way better work pointing to the grill"

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
1 mile from the phog
I don't have a problem with people spending a lot of money on a meal.

Okay, when you said that you "don't throw money away on food" I was just responding that some people don't feel like it's throwing money away.

My Mom is a chicken salad with ranch person and the concept of fine dining is completely lost on her and that's okay. She may have terrible taste in food, but the world takes all kinds.

Reactions: Cydkar

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
Funny Iowa State story about the one in Chandler. I was there for work and a few of us had just seen something on TV about the place before we went down there. We happened to drive by after dinner, since we had just eaten we stopped in for a drink. The bar was a tiny spot right by the grill. I had on an Iowa State shirt and the fry cook says "hey I graduated from Iowa State" I said "what was your major?" "Electrical Engineering, but man this is way better work pointing to the grill"
LOL. He tells that story 50 times a day, told to schmooze every customer wearing a team sweatshirt. Has the towns and mascot names memorized. First thing they teach when he buys the franchise.

BCClone

Sep 4, 2011
North Iowa
Okay, when you said that you "don't throw money away on food" I was just responding that some people don't feel like it's throwing money away.

My Mom is a chicken salad with ranch person and the concept of fine dining is completely lost on her and that's okay. She may have terrible taste in food, but the world takes all kinds.
I don't care what people spend on their meals, it is their choice. I've been to a few places that were considered fine dining and I honestly thought their steaks or fish were so overseasoned that I didn't care for it at all. So I wouldn't just say someone who doesn't like a $80 filet has poor food taste.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
1 mile from the phog
I don't care what people spend on their meals, it is their choice. I've been to a few places that were considered fine dining and I honestly thought their steaks or fish were so overseasoned that I didn't care for it at all. So I wouldn't just say someone who doesn't like a $80 filet has poor food taste.

I agree with you on all this, but I would say that a person who only orders a salad with ranch and can't even pass a plate of sushi to someone might not have the finest taste in cuisine.

BCClone

Sep 4, 2011
North Iowa
I agree with you on all this, but I would say that a person who only orders a salad with ranch and can't even pass a plate of sushi to someone might not have the finest taste in cuisine.

I would gladly pass the sushi to you since it's not my thing, lol, and for the record, I don't like Ranch dressing one bit at all.

• Haha
Reactions: Macloney

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
Unless you order your steak well done, I will judge the rest of your life for that.

GrindingAway

Nov 27, 2006
LOL. He tells that story 50 times a day, told to schmooze every customer wearing a team sweatshirt. Has the towns and mascot names memorized. First thing they teach when he buys the franchise.

He definitely didn’t own the franchise and there was a lot more conversation. Maybe he wasn’t a EE but he definitely was an avid Iowa State fan

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
Dec 19, 2010
Dallas, TX
@ISUCyclones2015 Did you ever give us your big Vegas post? I looked for it today and didn't find it.
Not yet. I'm becoming a perfectionist on it. Then the Texas winter storm happened and didn't get to work on it.

But it's up to ~15,000 words I think the last time I checked. It's got a little bit of everything. Almost done I promise

• Wow
Reactions: swiacy and Cycsk

Help Support Us

Become a patron