Thoughts on former OL Jeff Myer coaching Memphis OL knowing our defense scheme well

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
CMC thought very highly of him as well and if I recall correctly didn't want to lose him after he was a grad student on staff here, so he got the OL position without experience. Whatever qualities those were in keeping him here just didn't translate into a better product on the field. Contrast it with Clanton who has gotten some tangible results in his first season on staff.
That's a bit of revisionist history. He was responsible for helping get the 2020 group in the running for a Joe Moore award when we inserted Simmons and Remsburg - both freshman - into the starting lineup and helped units produced the fewest sacks in the Big 12 in a couple of seasons, at least one for sure.

It ended ugly -

but the idea that his lines were just crap is a tad revisionist. It ended badly, just like things ended bad with Manning etc.

But its also not accurate to say that it never translated.

Would I rather have CLanton.

Yes.

But that's like I'd rather have Heacock than Parker as DC.

I think Clanton's a better OL coach but at the same time - that doesn't mean Myers is crap

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
This is not meant to be a knock on Myer because I'm sure he is a great person, but I'm surprised he was able to land the OL coaching position at a school like Memphis after a not so good run at Iowa State.

Was it a 'who you know' kind of hire or did they actually see something they liked? Just curious.
We had a good line in 2020, coached by Myer.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
That's a bit of revisionist history. He was responsible for helping get the 2020 group in the running for a Joe Moore award when we inserted Simmons and Remsburg - both freshman - into the starting lineup and helped units produced the fewest sacks in the Big 12 in a couple of seasons, at least one for sure.

It ended ugly -

but the idea that his lines were just crap is a tad revisionist. It ended badly, just like things ended bad with Manning etc.

Yes.

I think Clanton's a better OL coach but at the same time - that doesn't mean Myers is crap
That's fair.

A good bit of recency bias here for me. I don't recall ever thinking the line was a dominant aspect of the offense or had improved much year over year in his time here and I know his hire was somewhat controversial.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I'll put this in the same meh bucket as Cade McNamara claiming his knowledge of Michigan would help Iowa beat the Wolverines. But then again, maybe without Cade's intelligence Iowa loses by 35.

FAFO

Oct 9, 2023
the pain train
This is not meant to be a knock on Myer because I'm sure he is a great person, but I'm surprised he was able to land the OL coaching position at a school like Memphis after a not so good run at Iowa State.

Was it a 'who you know' kind of hire or did they actually see something they liked? Just curious.
Ryan Silverfield,HC at Memphis was a Toledo coach in 2014, also the was the previous OL coach at Memphis, my guess is he is still heavily involved in the oline but am sure he has ties to Myers through Toledo

• Informative
Reactions: Pope

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
I’ve watched ISU football since I was a kid in the 90’s. The offensive line was the worst coached it had ever been under Jeff Myers. Sure, there were some really bad lines before him, but that was mainly a talent issue, not a coaching issue. Talk about revisionist history. Myers is an awful coach.

stewart092284

Sep 22, 2021
I’ve watched ISU football since I was a kid in the 90’s. The offensive line was the worst coached it had ever been under Jeff Myers. Sure, there were some really bad lines before him, but that was mainly a talent issue, not a coaching issue. Talk about revisionist history. Myers is an awful coach.
Well, that's fine. The college coaching community disagrees as it even named him to one of the best coaches under 30 in college football.

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
Well, that's fine. The college coaching community disagrees as it even named him to one of the best coaches under 30 in college football.
If that were true he wouldn’t have been fired from ISU and would have landed at another power 5 school. I don’t care what you think, the o line was atrociously coached under his direction and it’s why he’s gone from Ames.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
On the flipside of this, Heacock and Rasheed know his tendencies and are probably scheming up some stunts and crosses that are designed to specifically take advantage of that.

I'm sure our DL is more talented than their OL as well.
Yea....they know he sucks at coaching football. Correct.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008

It ended ugly -

Yes.

I think Clanton's a better OL coach but at the same time - that doesn't mean Myers is craThe guys got a tatsleeve.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
The guy is an idiot. Let's just cut to the chase here. Everyone knows it. Let's stop pretending,