The mad dash to finding a musical chair has begun.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
JP still has great ties to Wisconsin folks, and people apparently don't remember Gene Smith, former ISU AD, is now AD at Ohio State. Iowa could be pressured to support ISU, as current Senate Majority Leader is Jack Whitver and isn't Kim Reynolds an ISU grad? ISU teaming up with KU is a actually a brilliant move.

NorthCyd

Aug 22, 2011
I hate KU (mostly the fans) but they have no more responsibility for any of this than ISU. Basically next to none.

Some of it still goes back to the original greedy bastards of Nebraska, OU, Texas and A&M. Had we locked down the state of texas, stayed at the original 12 or maybe expanded to 14 with the right 2 (Arizona schools). This conference would have been completely fine with the cable market being phased out in favor of the subscriber market.
We signed up for this when we brought Texas in with the Big XII. They demanded everything and we gave it to them which pissed everybody else off, and then in the end the muthafuckas still stabbed us in the back.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
JP still has great ties to Wisconsin folks, and people apparently don't remember Gene Smith, former ISU AD, is now AD at Ohio State. Iowa could be pressured to support ISU, as current Senate Majority Leader is Jack Whitver and isn't Kim Reynolds an ISU grad? ISU teaming up with KU is a actually a brilliant move.

I don't like changing things like this and going this route........but at this point what other choice is there? In this day and age of paying players the remaining teams trying to resurrect the old Big 8 is a MAC conference ready to happen. I'm not sold on being in the west coast league. The Big Ten is it. This is where CMC recruits the best, and there are teams that would make good rivals......hence more money. Hold my nose but there you go.

Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
I hate KU (mostly the fans) but they have no more responsibility for any of this than ISU. Basically next to none.

Some of it still goes back to the original greedy bastards of Nebraska, OU, Texas and A&M. Had we locked down the state of texas, stayed at the original 12 or maybe expanded to 14 with the right 2 (Arizona schools). This conference would have been completely fine with the cable market being phased out in favor of the subscriber market.
Pretty much. The foundation was always on shaky ground with Texas. Nebraska, OU and A&M were more than willing to go along with things when it looked like they were all getting a better deal than the rest. To the end, neither A&M or Nebraska wanted equal revenue sharing for everyone, they just wanted to be making the same as whomever was making the most. For as much as OU played a part in creating the conditions for the instability, at least they never played the victim in public like certain other institutions.

• Agree
Reactions: NCCisufan

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
the wording of that story was a bit vague on ISU’s in involvement in this call, but ISU and KU going in tandem to the B1G does make sense. We can’t sit around waiting for someone to come knocking on our door, we need to find a soft landing spot yesterday. Going w/KU is helpful to that end.

I think the bigger issue is if the B1G blue bloods see the future of college football as:

1. Four, 16 team super conferences that manage their own balance of power and negotiate separately with TV networks and streaming platforms

OR

2. A 32 team super league that consolidates the bargaining power of CFB’s strongest brands against the TV networks and streaming platforms. Sort of an NFL lite

If it is option 1, The ISU/KU package deal could be very attractive to the B1G: regional and cultural ties, AAU membership. Marque basketball (KU) and ascendant football (ISU)…. All at a “bargain price”. I think ISU would be in very good shape in this case.

if it is option 2, B1G blue bloods would join UT and OU move to the $EC. ISU’s future is a lot more cloudy in this case. Maybe we could sneak in as team 30 or 32. But we’d probably sweat for a lot longer and it might impact recruiting.

The SEC is shooting themselves in the foot for a 4x16 model.

They will have 8 programs that have had recent decades as a "top ten" team. Not all of them are going to be elite at the same time.

Alabama
Auburn
OU
Texas
LSU
Florida
Tennesee
Georgia

There's no way all 8 of those team are simultaneously elite with winning seasons. Half of them will be elite at a given time.

StateThrowdown

Oct 27, 2008
Jasper County
You know what is beyond depressing about this? The old Big 12 was AWESOME. so many regional, ancient rivalries full of hatred along with some of the best teams in the country. Nebraksa (of old), Oklahoma, Texas and a Mike Leach coached Tech was just great. Easy travel to Columbia, Lincoln, Manhattan and Lawrence. Even in this great plains based conference, we had a gorgeous destination in Boulder.

In my opinion (biased as it may have been), the orginal Big 12 was the best football conference in the US hands down. And due to greed, the University of Texas had to completely **** it all up. At the end of the day, we shouldnt be surprised as they did the same thing to the old Southwest conference.

I've enjoyed the post 2011 Big 12, but it's always felt a little hollow and on borrowed time. Sad thinking of what was and what could have been...

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017

They will have 8 programs that have had recent decades as a "top ten" team. Not all of them are going to be elite at the same time.

Alabama
Auburn
OU
Texas
LSU
Florida
Tennesee
Georgia

There's no way all 8 of those team are simultaneously elite with winning seasons. Half of them will be elite at a given time.
There's not even certainty that they'll cycle through periods of strength. I kind of wonder what's going to happen a decade down the line when some of them are going to be relegated to mid-tier teams. Will pride/greed keep the in place? Will fans lose interest, and how will that affect revenue and recruiting?

• Agree
Reactions: STLISU and HFCS

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com

Alabama
Auburn
OU
Texas
LSU
Florida
Tennesee
Georgia

Yeah- watch the pundits prop up 4-loss SEC teams as top ten material...

CentexCyclone

Oct 20, 2015

Alabama
Auburn
OU
Texas
LSU
Florida
Tennesee
Georgia

I agree with you that the new SEC will beat itself up on the field. In fact, I think Texas will go through another decade of mediocrity if/when they make the jump. However, the UT/OU move is about brands, eye balls and TV dollars.

cayin

Apr 11, 2006
You know what is beyond depressing about this? The old Big 12 was AWESOME. so many regional, ancient rivalries full of hatred along with some of the best teams in the country. Nebraksa (of old), Oklahoma, Texas and a Mike Leach coached Tech was just great. Easy travel to Columbia, Lincoln, Manhattan and Lawrence. Even in this great plains based conference, we had a gorgeous destination in Boulder.

In my opinion (biased as it may have been), the orginal Big 12 was the best football conference in the US hands down. And due to greed, the University of Texas had to completely **** it all up. At the end of the day, we shouldnt be surprised as they did the same thing to the old Southwest conference.

I've enjoyed the post 2011 Big 12, but it's always felt a little hollow and on borrowed time. Sad thinking of what was and what could have been...
The old Big 12 was the best football conference, especially when KU and Mizzou got good. They were not winning NT like the SEC (Texas won in 2005 and would have won in 2009 had Colt not been hurt), but top to bottom is was the best. Probably from 2005 on it was the best. It got to good or to big for the others to feel comfortable with. I really think the SEC and Big 10 decided to do something about it and take the Big 12 down a notch or two. The huge thing for the old big 12 was recruiting. Once the Big 12 got established, most of the great Texas high school players ended up at Big 12 schools. Michigan and Ohio State couldn't even go down there and get players. Arkansas even struggled to recruit in Texas too.

• Agree
Reactions: StPaulCyclone

BWRhasnoAC

Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I'm not so sure KU was the first to contact the Big 10. You know how tight lipped Pollard is when he's hiring a new coach. I'm sure he's even more careful to not let any of his maneuvering on this become public. While it's frustrating for those of us who are hanging in pins and needles, I'm sure he's going about this the right way.
Has anyone emailed him yet? I'll get right on it.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
So if the Big 10 called Winterstein/Pollard right now today and offered Iowa State a spot in the conference, would you take it? If you were in their shoes.
I think we would be crazy not to accept. Even if the OU Texas decision hasn’t been made. Hell even if they end up staying put I still think it’s the right call.

Help Support Us

Become a patron