Smoker Questions

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Smoked some T-bones yesterday. My smoker was a tad hotter than I thought as I wanted them to be on for a couple hours to get them to an IT of 120. They were about 130 after an hour. Left the lid open for 30 minutes and lowered the temp to 150.

Closed the lid after 30 minutes just to keep them warm before I seared them on the gasser. About 5 minutes total for the sear. They turned out really good, not great due to me not looking at my temp closer.

My biggest take away was the flavor and that they were fork pull apart. I used a combo of garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, kosher salt, and black pepper to season then added just a touch of Montreal seasoning. This pic was taken right after I put them on the grill to sear. Did get some nice color from the smoker. Definitely the way to do a steak!!
View attachment 86842

Iowa T-Bones, smoked.
I did the same thing yesterday. Still need to work on my technique. I smoked at 180F for 40 minutes, then cranked up the temp. Next time I'm going to pull them while the Traeger gets up to temp, then throw them back on to sear and finish.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Iowa T-Bones, smoked.
I did the same thing yesterday. Still need to work on my technique. I smoked at 180F for 40 minutes, then cranked up the temp. Next time I'm going to pull them while the Traeger gets up to temp, then throw them back on to sear and finish.

Goal was to get to 120 on the smoker and then finish to get to 130 with searing on the grill. Just like you said, I have to work on my technique also. Just glad I was able to save them. T-bones from the 1/2 beef we have got last month.

Reactions: cstrunk

kcbob79clone

Goal was to get to 120 on the smoker and then finish to get to 130 with searing on the grill. Just like you said, I have to work on my technique also. Just glad I was able to save them. T-bones from the 1/2 beef we have got last month.
What temp did you sear at? Online I've read 500 but I thought that was a little hot when I tried it on some steaks recently.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I had two burners and my sear burner on high. I was vigilant and watched them with the lid open. I saw the marbling on the outside start to sizzle and turn them over. When I did that the side that was now up, was sizzling also. I can safely say it was in the 400-500 degree range. I should have taken more pics but I was hungry! :)

Reactions: cstrunk

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX

Yep, mine came from the 1/2 beef I just got from my parents in Iowa a week ago!

kcbob79clone

My first brisket.

Background: It is just the two of us and a full brisket is way too much and probably too big for our GMG Davy Crockett. HEB, a grocery store chain in Texas, has 2.5-3 pound trimmed brisket flat cut that is a perfect size for us. I used a salt and pepper blend for an overnight rub.

Smoking: 225 degrees until internal temp was 165 degrees (about 4 hours). Pulled and wrapped in aluminum foil until 202 degrees (another 3 hours for 7 hours total smoking time). Pulled and let sit for an hour.

Impression: Being in Texas I was a little leery of doing a brisket because good brisket is readily available here. We were pleasantly surprised with the results. My wife said the best so far. Hopefully a photo can be attached.
heb trimmed brisket smoker gmg davy crockett.jpg

BACyclone

Mar 27, 2011
Reinbeck, IA
Good for you! I think ultimately you'll find that when you get your technique dialed in, what you thought was "great" in a restaurant will barely touch what you can do yourself. Then if you can just keep repeating it.... ;)

One of my last couple briskets was the best I've ever had on the planet. I do have a favorite local BBQ spot trust that I can buy brisket I enjoy, but there are not many. I'm usually really disappointed in both ribs and brisket at a BBQ place.

I'll also encourage you to try smoking at least a full brisket flat...whatever you think will fit on your pit. Slice the whole thing up and maybe put the slices into 3 freezer bags. One you eat now and freeze two to thaw and heat up later. THEN you can enjoy the fruits of your labor more often!

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Good for you! I think ultimately you'll find that when you get your technique dialed in, what you thought was "great" in a restaurant will barely touch what you can do yourself. Then if you can just keep repeating it.... ;)

One of my last couple briskets was the best I've ever had on the planet. I do have a favorite local BBQ spot trust that I can buy brisket I enjoy, but there are not many. I'm usually really disappointed in both ribs and brisket at a BBQ place.

I'll also encourage you to try smoking at least a full brisket flat...whatever you think will fit on your pit. Slice the whole thing up and maybe put the slices into 3 freezer bags. One you eat now and freeze two to thaw and heat up later. THEN you can enjoy the fruits of your labor more often!

Where to you buy your produce? I always figured one difference between how restaurant fare tastes vs. homemade is that they're getting higher quality meats than what's normally found at a grocer.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Did some brats on the smoker for lunch. 250 for a little over an an hour. Left is a beer brat right is a regular. Couldn’t really tell any taste difference between the two. But the taste of a smoker brat over a grilled brat is night and day!

11E275A2-28AA-4747-ADE3-4B7D9F741FCA.jpeg

JCity

Mar 9, 2009
I had two burners and my sear burner on high. I was vigilant and watched them with the lid open. I saw the marbling on the outside start to sizzle and turn them over. When I did that the side that was now up, was sizzling also. I can safely say it was in the 400-500 degree range. I should have taken more pics but I was hungry! :)
I like to sear at 900-1000, you can use a slow and sear or pizza oven to get those temps easily.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Stevens Point, WI
Where to you buy your produce? I always figured one difference between how restaurant fare tastes vs. homemade is that they're getting higher quality meats than what's normally found at a grocer.

My buddy gets his briskets from Costco. He can usually get pretty good deals on prime cuts there.

• Agree
Reactions: Cycho1

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
When I switched from gas grill to GMG Daniel Boone, the cased/skin brats would get tough and wrinkly. So I switched to buying skinless brats now. Anyone had similar experiences?

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
When I switched from gas grill to GMG Daniel Boone, the cased/skin brats would get tough and wrinkly. So I switched to buying skinless brats now. Anyone had similar experiences?

I have the same problem, and it's also been an issue with chicken skin. I haven't smoked brats in a while, but I think the reason why the skins come out tough is the smoke isn't clean enough. The smoke coming out of the exhaust has to be thin white smoke to the transparent blue smoke.

Help Support Us

Become a patron