Report: OU & Texas reach out to join SEC

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I’d like to see a breakdown of how many OU 11 am games were on Fox, given the Big Noon game is their prime time slot

Remember, they're allegedly pissed about HOME games being so early because they contend that it impacts official recruit visits.

These are their last 5 home games that kicked at 11:00...
KSU 2020 - Fox
Tech 2019 - Fox
WVU 2019 - Fox
Florida Atlantic 2018 - Fox
ISU 2017 - Fox

• Haha
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Are all of the rumored “4 to 6” AAU schools?

When was the last time the Big 10 made a “good” move to improve the quality or prestige of its athletic power?! That’s a conference with a totally different philosophy. SEC is about collecting the most trophies and Big 10 is about collecting the most eyeballs. In the end, they’re both making money for their schools.
I'm a humanitarian idealist. Somewhere along the line, maybe we should just prioritize the student athletes instead of exploiting them. All things considered 'education' is still the most important tool in life.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I could see the Big 10 doing something like this.

West UCLA, USC, Wash. and Oregon, Utah
Near West Colo, Neb, EIU, Wiscon, and Minn.
Lakes Mich, Mich St, Illinois, Indiana, NW
East Osu, Penn, Rutgers, Maryland and Purdue

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
precisely why we have more leverage than we think, but we need to prepared to take a 10 year budget cut and be patient

here are latest scribbles:
-decentralized, seek to maximize the chaos and competition and fairness of College Athletics
-current NCAA head is on board, has been talking decentralization for a few years
-each school can buy one Wild Country coin for 20 Million, which goes into a fund controlled by 50.1% of the coins
-50.1% of the coins can enact a motion
-each coin can be subdivided into unlimited fractions
-but only the University President can cast a vote for each coin
-in accordance with University presidents, all NIL done through Wild Country coin
-so advertisers buy the coin from the university, and then give to players in exchange for marketing
-players can receive Wild Country coin from the University
-any payment to players with anything other than Wild Country coin will result in expulsion by having the University Presidents on board
-University sets the market and covers their admin expanses via the Bid/Ask spread for the coin
-scheduling based on a combination of results, tv ratings and in person attendance, algorithms written that 50.1% of the coins approve
-collective media etc. rights sold off for all coins to for example Google, then each coin receives its share based on a combination of tv ratings, results, and in person attendance
-unlimited # of motions and algorithms to govern the Alliance can be enacted, voting can happen at any time, once a motion receives 50.1% of the coin vote, it is enacted
-the Alliance can take in unlimited amount of teams, from G5, P5 or FCS, as long as they can buy in
-system built to be able to handle many different tiers of teams
-50.1% of the coins can enact a Brand Ambassador, like Bill Snyder
-each coin is responsible for its fair share, based on pre agreed algorithms to contribute to a marketing budget

@dbodeenisudm that is a lucid, intelligent, well thought out, proposal.

Overruled!

• Haha
Reactions: Cloneon

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
What's silly about this grievance from OU is that the networks decide when the games will be kicked off. My understanding is that the school and conference have little say in the matter.
What I've discovered is that I do NOT mind watching it tape delayed. I've gotten rather used to it. If we lose, no rush. If we win, juggle my schedule to make it fit. It's a win-win.
Now, my viewpoint may not be the norm cause I've always lived so far away from Ames. If I had more opportunities to see the game in person, things would be totally different.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

Jason Kersey
@jasonkersey

·
35m

OU President Joseph Harroz said it became apparent that the Big 12 had become "last in line" in terms of priority for media rights agreements. And, he said, not just last in line as far as the P5 conferences go, but as far as *everything*

Boy, I wonder where the OU President would have received that information/impression from....

Attachments

• 1627663637038.png
    1627663637038.png
    37.8 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Love 11am kicks for games I'm not attending. Nothing quite like catching the last hour or so of College Gameday, leading right into Cyclone football, and then I'm happy (hopefully) by 3pm and able to just enjoy the rest of the day.
The key is Not attending. Home game with an 11:00 o'clock start means leaving at home around 4:30 to get to Ames by 7:00 or so, set up the tailgate, get things rolling and then we have to take everything down around 10:15 to 10:30 at the latest.
Makes for a very long day, wife complains the whole time and its generally cold and wet for the later games. The sweet spot for games are with 2;30 or 6:00. Plenty of time to tailgate, and still get home before one in the morning.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I could see the Big 10 doing something like this.

West UCLA, USC, Wash. and Oregon, Utah
Near West Colo, Neb, EIU, Wiscon, and Minn.
Lakes Mich, Mich St, Illinois, Indiana, NW
East Osu, Penn, Rutgers, Maryland and Purdue

I've been coming to that realization too...sadly. We're just totally at B10's mercy whether it is joining them or if they would allow us to merge with Pac.

It doesn't really flow with the "big 4 conferences" thing like a pac/b12 merger would but I think that's an afterthought and the two powers don't really care if it's 2 or 1 big power conference.

frackincygy

Jul 13, 2015
More evidence support my prediction of 0% chance of joining the PAC-12 or Big 10.
Twitter is evidence? TIL.
Remember, they're allegedly pissed about HOME games being so early because they contend that it impacts official recruit visits.

These are their last 5 home games that kicked at 11:00...
KSU 2020 - Fox
Tech 2019 - Fox
WVU 2019 - Fox
Florida Atlantic 2018 - Fox
ISU 2017 - Fox
Ahhhh so there is some truth in their dislike for 1100 kicks, they just don't want to admit it's due to CMC :campbell:

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
I’m not as optimistic right now about us not being left out. This is terrible and it’s very much turning me off on how college athletics are now. For me the big ten is where we need to be, but it’s probably unlikely. This whole thing just ******* sucks. I feel awful for everyone involved, it’s not right.

• Agree
Reactions: OnlyCyclones

Mesaclone1

Oct 9, 2009
Mesa, AZ
I think we'd have two options if the PAC gets picked apart and we don't find a P5 home...go for 16 teams and do pods...or stick with 12 and do an east-west alignment. My preference would be the 12 team grouping. Further, to give it ANY stability we'd have to a very long term GOR...similar to what the ACC has...at least a 15 if not a 20 year time frame. The money would either come from Fox...reaching out to CBS...or going full streaming which actually is the future and likely the most profitable setup.

Northwest Pod
Washington St
Oregon St
Utah
BYU

Southwest Pod
Arizona
Arizona St
Colorado
Texas Tech

Midwest Pod
Iowa St
Kansas St
Kansas
Cincinnati

Cowboy Pod
Oklahoma St
TCU
Baylor
Houston

Alternately, if you just want to go with 12 it looks like an even stronger grouping:
Midwest
Oklahoma State
Iowa State
Kansas State
Cincinnati
Kansas
TCU

West
BYU
Utah
Colorado
Arizona State
Arizona
Texas Tech

Statefan10

May 20, 2019
11 am games are great when it’s an away game and I don’t have to wake up feeling nervous for the next 6 hours. They were tough in college when you had to wake up at 5 to get to the lots after a full night drinking. They then led to another full day of drinking and a horrific Sunday morning.

Help Support Us

Become a patron