Payne out at Iowa

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Stevens Point, WI
He may not be better than Cartwright but he ain't worse. He's a better shooter and doesn't turn the ball over as much. Plus I think he is just as good of a defender. Cully's numbers in a slow offense as a freshmen are not that far off from Cartwrights as a Junior in an uptempo

Cully is a slightly better shooter. Cartwright has a better FG%, but Cully still has the edge as a shooter because a lot of BC's buckets come on layups and floaters. Defense is pretty equal. But Cartwright's assist numbers are much better, especially after he found his groove early in the Big Ten season. But Cully had the same average in TO's in Lickliter's offense as Cartwright had this year. In that slow down style, you should have lower TO numbers than you would in an uptempo offense.

Cartwright is the better overall player, while Cully is the better shooter. But as a PG, I'd prefer the guy who's a more efficient distributor (Cartwright). Cully would have been a solid backup at both guard spots. But he's not really an uptempo player.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
Cully is a slightly better shooter. Cartwright has a better FG%, but Cully still has the edge as a shooter because a lot of BC's buckets come on layups and floaters. Defense is pretty equal. But Cartwright's assist numbers are much better, especially after he found his groove early in the Big Ten season. But Cully had the same average in TO's in Lickliter's offense as Cartwright had this year. In that slow down style, you should have lower TO numbers than you would in an uptempo offense.

Cartwright is the better overall player, while Cully is the better shooter. But as a PG, I'd prefer the guy who's a more efficient distributor (Cartwright). Cully would have been a solid backup at both guard spots. But he's not really an uptempo player.

Problem is that you are comparing Cully as a freshmen to Cartwright as a junior. And under a different system. Bryce Cartwright isn't better than Cully Payne. If he was than he would have started over him to start the season. They are both average players.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Stevens Point, WI
Problem is that you are comparing Cully as a freshmen to Cartwright as a junior. And under a different system. Bryce Cartwright isn't better than Cully Payne. If he was than he would have started over him to start the season. They are both average players.

Cartwright is no superstar. But Cully started because 1. he was the incumbent, and 2. we weren't totally sure what we had in Cartwright. Once Bryce figured things out, he was easily the better player. Cully just doesn't really fit in an uptempo offense. If he did, he probably wouldn't be leaving.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
That's not true. He committed to Alabama after he decommited from DePaul so it had nothing to do with his talent.

I can't speak about what happened at Alabama...but I knew the DePaul coaching staff well and that is what I was told by them directly. They did not slam the kid at all...they told me that both parties recognized that Culley was not going to be a Big East player and both parties agreed to part on good terms.

burky247

May 29, 2009
Iowa City

You're nuts if you think Cully is even equal to Cartwright. Cartwright was the MVP of this Iowa team this year.

Yes13

Oct 9, 2009
You're nuts if you think Cully is even equal to Cartwright. Cartwright was the MVP of this Iowa team this year.
How do we know Culley wouldn't have been MVP if he wasn't injured?

Both are below average in the college basketball world

burky247

May 29, 2009
Iowa City
How do we know Culley wouldn't have been MVP if he wasn't injured?

Both are below average in the college basketball world

Hypothetically I suppose Cully could have been good last year. But not at point guard. Not the way that Caff wants the point guard to operate in this offense. Some of that wasn't Cully's fault. First, he wasn't recruited into this type of system. And second, his injuries really limited his abilities. He just didn't have enough lateral quickness on either offense or defense to really thrive in this kind of offense(at pg). I realize that Iowa wasn't exactly like the ol' Loyola Marymount teams of the past....but compared to the days of Lickliter it felt like it at times.

Cartwright did receive honorable mention all-conference honors and I think ended up leading the B10 in assists. Assuming he stays healthy next season, he will be considered one of the better guards in the B10 next season. This is an ISU site and I don't expect ISU fans to drool over Cartwright. But to say that Cully was anywhere near him is just foolish.

Gitwitit

Dec 31, 2008

LOL...They are not comparable. Cartwright is a much better pg than Payne. Payne would be a decent shooting guard if he was a few inches taller, but he is not quick enough to play pg. Cartwright signed very late in the game last year and Payne was around the new staff for longer, so my guess is that they went with the guy who had a year of Big Ten experience under his belt.

Cartwright improved a lot as the season went on. He did lead the Big Ten in assists per game...imagine if he had someone to pass to.

Defensively, Cartwright is just a lot quicker and more athletic.

Cartwright was hands down the best player on this team this year and the reason they were competitive in a lot of games. Payne is not capable of breaking down defenses and scoring in the lane like Cartwright.

AllIowaTeams

Jun 10, 2010
Grimes
It stinks to lose the depth at this point in the game, but Cully simply wasn't a game changer. He also isn't near the passer or as good of a defender as Cartwright. He is better suited for the 2, but even then he doesn't have ideal size and he's not the lights out shooter you want at the 2. Plus Gatens isn't going anywhere so Cully was looking at limited PT next year with Cartwright and Gatens both looking at 30+ minutes a game. I would prefer Cully to have stayed at Iowa so they would have a backup PG, but this isn't a crushing blow by any means.

Help Support Us

Become a patron