Apr 6, 2009
Urbandale
We bought ours at Backyard adventures

expedition-series-glacier-playset-1_grande.jpg

Frak

Apr 27, 2009
Got this at Walmart for $500.

b231e5e6-1ea0-4f9d-801e-a6dc74ffe063_1.ba674b923152e5dd2730826884582eb2.jpeg

We had a bigger one, but a wind storm tore it apart last summer. I don't really think that the extra money is worth it. No idea why someone would foot the bill for a Rainbow unless they are looking to waste money. But, man, do these things take awhile to assemble.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
We started with a small, generic playset when the kids were young, like 1 to 4 years old. They used that thing every day. Then when we moved back to Ames we upgraded to a Rainbow playset - the kids were 3 to 7 - and they and all the neighbor kids used it constantly. Then of course a year later I took a new job in Washington state... But I think the playset helped to sell the house, which was in a neighborhood full of young families. According to Google Maps Satellite View that playset is still up.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
We're looking at buying an outside playset for the kids soon. A few questions...how weather resistant are these? Specifically our yard doesn't have the best drainage, so when the snow melts or have a big storm with a lot of rain, there will be some standing puddles in our yard. Would this be okay or would I need to do something to the bottom supports?

flynnhicks03

Most Illinest B-Boy
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
We got ours last year online at Sams Club. They have quite a selection.

We got a Sam's Club one, too. It's been okay. My kids enjoy playing on it, but the wood isn't the best. Had a few pieces break, and it's not as sturdy as it could be. It's not a danger or anything, but like the picnic table broke and a board on the climbing wall came off. Like others have said, if you're sure your kids are going to use it ton over the next 4-6 years, maybe consider spend the extra, otherwise Sams/Wal-Mart/Costco will be probably be fine for a fraction of the cost.

CtownCyclone

Been waiting for this moment all my life
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
My wife is pushing for one at our house. I'm not super excited about the idea, as we don't really have a good place to put it and we live an eighth of a mile from the neighborhood playground.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Need to find a home were one of the neighbors has one already set up. Saves a lot of money. You don't need to mow around it. The neighbor will be happy someone is finally using it.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Need to find a home were one of the neighbors has one already set up. Saves a lot of money. You don't need to mow around it. The neighbor will be happy someone is finally using it.

Three neighbors on our street have trampolines and a couple swing sets. We have 3 dogs and a lot of poop in our yard. So the kids go next door a lot.

• Agree
Reactions: Tailg8er and wxman1

cydline2cydline

Sep 17, 2011
Altoonaville
You should definitely take a look at Craigslist. As people mentioned, lots of people realize kids don't use them and you can get a nice one for cheap, just need a way to move it.

I bought a 3-year old $1700 (she included the receipt) play set for $300.

cydline2cydline

Sep 17, 2011
Altoonaville
I'm considering purchasing an outdoor play set for the kiddos - any recommendations? It seems like everyone around us has Rainbow systems - are they worth the extra cost? Anyone have experience with Gorilla play sets?

Probably going with a castle setup vs a clubhouse due to the slope in the yard. Hope to stay in the 3-5k range (or lower).

Have a 1 & 3 yr old - should get plenty of use.
You should get this one. $750 and you could probably bargain down to $650. Pre-assembled, recently stained, most likely better than any you could get for the price. Note: I have no relation to this post.

https://iowacity.craigslist.org/for/6049490415.html

CyJam

Apr 10, 2006
Denver, CO
I'm considering purchasing an outdoor play set for the kiddos - any recommendations? It seems like everyone around us has Rainbow systems - are they worth the extra cost? Anyone have experience with Gorilla play sets?

Probably going with a castle setup vs a clubhouse due to the slope in the yard. Hope to stay in the 3-5k range (or lower).

Have a 1 & 3 yr old - should get plenty of use.

We bought a used CedarWorks off of craigslist. Quality construction and it gets heavy use.

https://www.cedarworks.com/

mtowncyclone13

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
funny post! my wife wanted to go to menards last night to look at these.

are they stained or do you need to stain them? do you put pea gravel around them or just put in on the grass? there were SO MANY choices it was hard to figure out what was good and what was bad.

wxman1

Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
funny post! my wife wanted to go to menards last night to look at these.

are they stained or do you need to stain them? do you put pea gravel around them or just put in on the grass? there were SO MANY choices it was hard to figure out what was good and what was bad.

That all depends on what your wife wants. Also I highly suggest staying away from pea gravel or any other kind of rock. It does the job and is cheap but they are kids and it won't stay where you put it.

n8sanow

Oct 10, 2011
Central Iowa
We got ours years ago when Kmart was still in town. We paid less than $500. The kids played on it a lot early on, but soon lost interest. We had it probably 6 years. It took me the better part of a day to put it up by myself. I re-stained it once. I had to re-tighten all of the hardware every spring.

I would say unless you are looking for it to add value to your house for a possible resale down the line I wouldn't spend a whole lot of money on one.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Funny thing - the entire wood treating industry was changed a few years ago because of this. (More specifically, the big gargantuan wood playsets you see on school playgrounds and so forth.) Seems the kids would accidentally ingest the treatment chemical - copper chromated arsenate, or CCA for short - by grabbing the wood with sweaty hands, and also putting their fingers in their mouth afterward. More than a few got pretty sick. Not a risk of death, but still not a good thing, either. So the EPA required a different treatment, one with no metals and more easily tolerated ingredients.

If I was going to do this (my kids are all grown, maybe grandkids though) I'd use cedar and just let it gray or silver naturally. There are stains and water repellants to keep them looking nice, but they need to be re-done regularly, which is a royal pain. Some folks don't like the look of weathered cedar, but I can just about guarantee you the kids won't care.

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
We recently got a Rainbow clubhouse style one. So far so good. Kids are 5 & 2 with one on the way. They were more interested in the clubhouse thing on the bottom than the actual slides, at least for now.

If you have the time/desire to put one together you will save a good chunk of money. We didn't really have either of those. Went to work with an old and falling apart swing set in the backyard, came home and a nice shiny new one was there. Happily paid more for that.

Help Support Us

Become a patron