On That Note: I Want(ed) My MTV

JP4CY

Plaque + alternates = down in the ladies room
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
This breaks the rules but I don't care because the best thing that MTV ever did was MTV Unplugged. Just famous bands singing live with an acoustic backing and very intimate settings.

The most famous one probably being Nirvana's since it was one of the last things Cobain did on video before his death.

MTV filmed over 100 of them but only released 30. I really really want to know who the other 70 were. I also would've paid a lot of money to be at one of these shows back in the 90s.
I LOVED UNPLUGGED.

This IMO is the best of them all:

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
This breaks the rules but I don't care because the best thing that MTV ever did was MTV Unplugged. Just famous bands singing live with an acoustic backing and very intimate settings.

The most famous one probably being Nirvana's since it was one of the last things Cobain did on video before his death.

MTV filmed over 100 of them but only released 30. I really really want to know who the other 70 were. I also would've paid a lot of money to be at one of these shows back in the 90s.

Here's my favorite song from Nirvana's:

Man, that's an interesting idea for a thread - ranking MTV Unplugged performances on different metrics. Which was the most commercially successful (I want to say Clapton was #1, and Nirvana was #2). Which was the most poignant (that probably also has to go to Clapton for "Tears in Heaven"). Which was the best performance, which was the most influential, etc.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
Dec 19, 2010
Dallas, TX
I LOVED UNPLUGGED.

This IMO is the best of them all:

Paramount+ has like 10 of them in remastered HD if you're evee itching for them again. Unfortunately k.d. lang is not on there. Hoping they get more of them on there.

I was thinking though could today's artists do something like this? I mean obviously some of them but I think too many rely on electronic backing and producing to get their voices right. A small intimate thing like this would cripple quite a few of them.

Lady Gaga I think would ******* kill one though

Reactions: Angie

JP4CY

Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Man, that's an interesting idea for a thread - ranking MTV Unplugged performances on different metrics. Which was the most commercially successful (I want to say Clapton was #1, and Nirvana was #2). Which was the most poignant (that probably also has to go to Clapton for "Tears in Heaven"). Which was the best performance, which was the most influential, etc.
I was a big fan of Alice in Chains and looking back on Layne's performance, it's hypnotic.

• Agree
Reactions: Angie and madguy30

JP4CY

Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Paramount+ has like 10 of them in remastered HD if you're evee itching for them again. Unfortunately k.d. lang is not on there. Hoping they get more of them on there.

I was thinking though could today's artists do something like this? I mean obviously some of them but I think too many rely on electronic backing and producing to get their voices right. A small intimate thing like this would cripple quite a few of them.

Lady Gaga I think would ******* kill one though
As a non Gaga or Miley "fan" I think they absolutely would.
Natalie Merchant sure did.

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
For some reason, I love videos that feature random and average-looking people dancing ...

I'm also a sucker for fan participation videos.

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Spousal500 were hanging out one night watching VH1, and this came on … we wound up keeping the channel on for hours, and this (among other videos) replayed at least once … It remains one of our communal favorites.

Help Support Us

Become a patron