MLB: Official World Champion Kansas City Royals 2016 Thread

shagcarpetjesus

Apr 18, 2006
Royals will be 4.5 behind the Orioles. Still going to be tough, but they are back in the race. Gained 5 games on WC in little over 2 weeks.

Just gotta keep keep winning 9 out of every 10 games. You can do it, Royals!!!

It's nice to see Gordo hitting again. I know some people were starting to go down the "he got his big contract, is he coasting" road. When you take a look at the average pro athlete, Alex Gordon seems like the least likely to just put it on cruise control and just cash his checks.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Just gotta keep keep winning 9 out of every 10 games. You can do it, Royals!!!

It's nice to see Gordo hitting again. I know some people were starting to go down the "he got his big contract, is he coasting" road. When you take a look at the average pro athlete, Alex Gordon seems like the least likely to just put it on cruise control and just cash his checks.

Yeah, my friend saw him at Barley's Brewhouse during lunch the day his contract was announced. He ordered a salad -- he doesn't seem like the type to neglect training after getting paid.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
Sad to go out this way, too many injuries. Should be able to make at least one more run next year.

cyjones75

Aug 24, 2012
Ames
Sad to go out this way, too many injuries. Should be able to make at least one more run next year.

I concur. It appears the team has packed it in--injuries, fatigue, inability to catch the teams ahead...who knows. But they should be keyed for another run next year with what I believe most of their core returning. I saw them during their hot streak in August. They were hitting all cylinders, even though it was going to be tough to climb back into the playoffs.

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
I concur. It appears the team has packed it in--injuries, fatigue, inability to catch the teams ahead...who knows. But they should be keyed for another run next year with what I believe most of their core returning. I saw them during their hot streak in August. They were hitting all cylinders, even though it was going to be tough to climb back into the playoffs.

It feels like the Royals went as Lorenzo Cain went. 58-45 in games he played, 16-27 when he was out.

The Royals were 12-27 in the months of July and September... Cain played in 3 games total in those months.

Some tough (and not so tough) off season moves ahead. Bring back Morales? What to do with Volquez? (easy... decline the option) Can Dyson be the everyday CF? What do you do with Cuthbert and/or Dozier with Moose coming back? 2B and SS issues need to be addressed. Will be an interesting off season, but 2017 will be fun.

It was a helluva ride but it had to end sometime and they just flat ran out of gas and to a degree some luck. Back to back World Series appearances and a title is a pretty nice trade off though. Flags fly forever.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
It feels like the Royals went as Lorenzo Cain went. 58-45 in games he played, 16-27 when he was out.

The Royals were 12-27 in the months of July and September... Cain played in 3 games total in those months.

Some tough (and not so tough) off season moves ahead. Bring back Morales? What to do with Volquez? (easy... decline the option) Can Dyson be the everyday CF? What do you do with Cuthbert and/or Dozier with Moose coming back? 2B and SS issues need to be addressed. Will be an interesting off season, but 2017 will be fun.

It was a helluva ride but it had to end sometime and they just flat ran out of gas and to a degree some luck. Back to back World Series appearances and a title is a pretty nice trade off though. Flags fly forever.

I think the Royals need to accept the option on Volquez, but I'm not sure he would accept his side of the mutual option.

1. I think he may bounce back next year with a longer offseason.
2. If they decline the option, they would have to pay him a $3m buyout, so accepting the buyout is only a $7m commitment. You won't be able to find a pitcher as good on a one year deal for $7m.
3. His contract is perfect for the Royals since it looks like 2017 will be their last chance to compete. I don't want the Royals to commit to money after 2017 which they would have to do if they signed a pitcher similar to Volquez.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
IMO, the most important thing the Royals need to do this offseason is something they need to not do. Don't extend Hosmer. He's just not as valuable as whatever he would command. I'd look to spend the money on Duffy and then Moose if he bounces back from injury.

I'd wait on Morales. I don't think he'll get so much interest in free agency, so maybe the Royals could get him for a discount later. If that doesn't work out, let Cuthbert be the right side of a platoon/rotation at DH. He's got good splits against lefties, not so much against RHP.

They also need to get Mondesi and Strahm back to the minors. Strahm needs to develop as a starter and Mondesi still needs to learn how to hit minor league pitching before learning to hit major league pitching. Hopefully he can be ready to take over for Escobar in 2018.

Reactions: Cyballzz

Cyballzz

Feb 1, 2010
I think the Royals need to accept the option on Volquez, but I'm not sure he would accept his side of the mutual option.

1. I think he may bounce back next year with a longer offseason.
2. If they decline the option, they would have to pay him a $3m buyout, so accepting the buyout is only a $7m commitment. You won't be able to find a pitcher as good on a one year deal for $7m.
3. His contract is perfect for the Royals since it looks like 2017 will be there last chance to compete. I don't want the Royals to commit to money after 2017 which they would have to do if they signed a pitcher similar to Volquez.

And maybe the offseason away from the disaster that was June to present will bring me back to the mindset of "ok slot him in the 4 spot in '17" but my only fear with pitching is when it goes... it goes fast.

IMO, the most important thing the Royals need to do this offseason is something they need to not do. Don't extend Hosmer. He's just not as valuable as whatever he would command. I'd look to spend the money on Duffy and then Moose if he bounces back from injury.

I'd wait on Morales. I don't think he'll get so much interest in free agency, so maybe the Royals could get him for a discount later. If that doesn't work out, let Cuthbert be the right side of a platoon/rotation at DH. He's got good splits against lefties, not so much against RHP.

They also need to get Mondesi and Strahm back to the minors. Strahm needs to develop as a starter and Mondesi still needs to learn how to hit minor league pitching before learning to hit major league pitching. Hopefully he can be ready to take over for Escobar in 2018.

Hosmer is going to be looking for 200 over 10... more power to him but no way he gets that. Someone will probably give him 160 and I just hope that team isnt the Royals.

Add Cain to your list of guys with a chance to extend this off season. There have already evidently been talks.

Agree on Morales if hes not resigned it allows Perez and Cain to DH more often hopefully saving wear and tear on them.

Mondesi was such an un-Royallike move (which is weird because it was the move they used to ALWAYS make)... Totally rushed this year. Strahm should get a look in ST as a starter but ultimately go to Omaha with Staumont and see you in late '17.

I will be interested to see how Vargas returns from Tommy John as well.

Reactions: Doc

Help Support Us

Become a patron