***Official St. Louis Cardinals 2021 Season Thread***

Kaner04

Apr 22, 2019
O’Neill, Carlson, Arenado, Goldy, Flaherty, Hudson, Reyes, Gallegos, Cabrera, Hicks, and dare I say Bader are all very valuable pieces that belong on winning baseball teams.
The way I see it with money coming off the books in Carpenter and Fowler, and arenado’s contract still being paid by the Rockies, we need at least 2 starting pitchers, a shortstop, an outfielder or two and a bullpen arm. And minor league players to keep developing. Mozeilak will have to spend if he wants people in his ballpark. Oh and get Jeff Albert the f**k out of St. Louis.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
None of those guys should even be considered being moved. If you want to win next year we need those players. This isn’t just full tank mode where you sell the whole team.

I’m not saying I agree, but the Post Dispatch suggested this week that Flaherty could be used as a big chip to replenish the farm system. Basically treat this year as a “tank year” and build a team to win 2-3 seasons from now.

Again, not saying I agree. But there is a suggestion that Flaherty and others are tradable.

Kaner04

Apr 22, 2019
I’m not saying I agree, but the Post Dispatch suggested this week that Flaherty could be used as a big chip to replenish the farm system. Basically treat this year as a “tank year” and build a team to win 2-3 seasons from now.

Again, not saying I agree. But there is a suggestion that Flaherty and others are tradable.
Yeah they could certainly do that but in my opinion there’s a core for a team that can win in the coming years. The front office is gonna have to do something they don’t like to do and that’s spend money. This isn’t baseball of years past. You either have to have an elite farm system like the Rays or Dodgers, spend money (180+ million of payroll) or a little bit of both. Cardinals don’t do any of those currently.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Yeah they could certainly do that but in my opinion there’s a core for a team that can win in the coming years. The front office is gonna have to do something they don’t like to do and that’s spend money. This isn’t baseball of years past. You either have to have an elite farm system like the Rays or Dodgers, spend money (180+ million of payroll) or a little bit of both. Cardinals don’t do any of those currently.

Yeah, unfortunately while the Goldy deal felt big at the time, we were really getting a player at the very end of his prime. He's an OK middle lineup guy, but he's not nearly as valuable as he used to be (nor what his contract suggests). And in addition to the Goldy deal, we have a few recently that have depleted the farm system. Imagine if we hadn't traded for Ozuna and we still had Sandy Alcantara to go with Flaherty, for example.

I hope Nolan stays on, but I've read multiple articles that say we're fine either way. If he stays, great, we have a future HOF corner infielder for a few more good years. If he opts out, we have huge payroll flexibility.

Reactions: Kaner04

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Looking back, it seems that the Cards started to decline post La Russa. For whatever reason they seem snakebit, starting with the Fowler signing. They’ve signed some who had peaked (Goldy, Miller) traded some who blossomed for other teams (too many to list), & extended some they shouldn’t ( M Carpenter). Injuries are part of any sport but the Cards seem to be hit above average & then don’t recover well. Shildt is a good manager & I hope he avoids being the scapegoat. I can’t imagine how Yadi & Waino continue to maintain their level of play & I wouldn’t count on them next year. Fleharty, Carlson, Arenado & O’Neill would be the only untouchables if I was GM.

Reactions: throwittoblythe

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Looking back, it seems that the Cards started to decline post La Russa. For whatever reason they seem snakebit, starting with the Fowler signing. They’ve signed some who had peaked (Goldy, Miller) traded some who blossomed for other teams (too many to list), & extended some they shouldn’t ( M Carpenter). Injuries are part of any sport but the Cards seem to be hit above average & then don’t recover well. Shildt is a good manager & I hope he avoids being the scapegoat. I can’t imagine how Yadi & Waino continue to maintain their level of play & I wouldn’t count on them next year. Fleharty, Carlson, Arenado & O’Neill would be the only untouchables if I was GM.

Joe Kelly is the one that hurts the most for me. The guys shows up on the highlight reels for Pitching Ninja just about every time he goes out on the bump.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Honestly this is the first year I haven't minded the MLB blackout rules. I don't really think I want to watch this team. If I don't see them did it really happen?

Kaner04

Apr 22, 2019
Oh yeah, totally forgot about Gallen. And yes, we got hosed on that one. I remember some articles suggested that Ozuna was the bigger prize compared to Yelich. What a joke THAT turned out to be.
I read somewhere that we could’ve gotten yelich but we chose ozuna.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Honestly this is the first year I haven't minded the MLB blackout rules. I don't really think I want to watch this team. If I don't see them did it really happen?

Yeah....I worked pretty hard to figure out how to watch the games and I'd guess I'm actually watching about 30% right now. Same as you...not really enjoyable baseball to watch.

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
I felt bad for the Arizona reliever last night, but appreciate whatever it takes to get the win. Completely hung out to dry by the manager and/or pitching coach.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I read somewhere that we could’ve gotten yelich but we chose ozuna.
The Cards wanted Yelich, after Stanton refused to go to St. Louis, the Marlin said they were keeping Yelich but would trade Ozuna, which they did to the Cardinals, after both Stanton and Ozuna was gone, then Yelich stated he didn't want to stick around without the other two, and the Brewers pounced on him.

We got the damaged goods, and the Crew got the young star player.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
All the talent still on the board, and the Cardinals select a “high floor”, modest ceiling college pitcher in the first round. Sigh.

Maybe they made a deal with him to save a little bonus money for the later rounds?

TomTreebow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 20, 2012
All the talent still on the board, and the Cardinals select a “high floor”, modest ceiling college pitcher in the first round. Sigh.

Maybe they made a deal with him to save a little bonus money for the later rounds?
With Flores leading the draft, I'll trust the Cardinals on this after going off the board last year and the amazing early returns there. Don't think it was Flores but Carlson was also an out of the blue pick. MLB is such a crap shoot, I was hoping for Hoglund but it's just so hard once you get out of the top 10 picks. Might finally get to see what it's like inside the top 10 in 2022

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I think this season is pretty much over. Even if they managed to get into the playoffs, I don’t see them having the pieces to do anything.

I wonder who they might trade off if they sell? Not many good pieces that aren’t part of the long term plan and the ones that might be trade bait are playing poorly.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I wasn’t entirely happy with the McGreevy pick yesterday. I’ve seen them pick too many “safe” and “polished” get-to-the-majors-fast guys who didn’t do much more than that.

Today, however, they grabbed a high school OF who was clearly this year’s version of Nolan Gorman and Jordan Walker. Just needs some coaching and refinement, the aforementioned “polish”. Likely RF in a few years—for those of you who don't like O‘Neil.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
The Cards signed 1st round RHP Michael McGreevy for more than 730K below slot value. Hardly a surprise, but if gives them a little more room to sign their 2nd and 7th round picks away from commitments to Vandy and Minnesota respectively.

2nd rounder Josh Baez (OF) has immense potential, and 7th round RHP Alec Willis is a raw 6’5” Coloradan with projectability aplenty.

Kaner04

Apr 22, 2019
The Cards signed 1st round RHP Michael McGreevy for more than 730K below slot value. Hardly a surprise, but if gives them a little more room to sign their 2nd and 7th round picks away from commitments to Vandy and Minnesota respectively.

2nd rounder Josh Baez (OF) has immense potential, and 7th round RHP Alec Willis is a raw 6’5” Coloradan with projectability aplenty.
Yep they just signed Baez away from Vandy today. I think he’s like Gorman where he has immense potential to grow and has a lot of raw power.

Help Support Us

Become a patron