MLB: ***Official 2021 Chicago Cubs Season Thread***

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
We ended the 2020 season 24th in Fan Graphs farm system rankings. We’re now 12th after the Rizzo trade. Not bad considering all the question marks we had heading into the season. Also of note is the top 5 are still expected to be 2+ years away. Do we suck on purpose next year and sim to go nuts again in 2023?

tman24

Feb 6, 2008
We ended the 2020 season 24th in Fan Graphs farm system rankings. We’re now 12th after the Rizzo trade. Not bad considering all the question marks we had heading into the season. Also of note is the top 5 are still expected to be 2+ years away. Do we suck on purpose next year and sim to go nuts again in 2023?

Basically suck until heywards contract is up.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Stevens Point, WI

I'd be a lot more interested to see where the Cubs were ranked just a week or so ago. I'd wager that most of that jump in the rankings is because of guys they already had breaking out (most notably Brennen Davis), not the addition of two solid prospects this afternoon.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I'd be a lot more interested to see where the Cubs were ranked just a week or so ago. I'd wager that most of that jump in the rankings is because of guys they already had breaking out (most notably Brennen Davis), not the addition of two solid prospects this afternoon.

Ive been paying pretty close attention. Moved to 22 when the Ball move was made, 18 for Chafin, 17 for Tapera, 12 for Rizzo.

They are now 11th with the Dodgers (going from 6 to 16) selling the farm

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
Predictions for today

Kimbrel to Dodgers for Gavin Lux
KB to Mets for Preciano

I’d love to see Javy moved but don’t think it will happen. I fear the FO will overpay him in the offseason and pull off a “see, we didn’t lose everybody!” stunt

• Agree
Reactions: RoseClone

CyState85

May 8, 2019
I keep telling myself that the Front Office sat down with Baez, Bryant, and Rizzo and said “Look fellas, we need some more pieces to compete and since we are out of it this year, we are going to trade you to some big market teams and rob their farm systems…play your little hearts out these next few months and re-sign with us over the winter. Oh and if you could convince Heyward to retire and forfeit bonus money, that would be great!”

Knowing the Ricketts, they probably tried to secure a sponsorship deal to announce the trades—-“Today’s trade announcement was brought to you by U-Haul! When you blow up a team and ship off team legends, make sure to use U-Haul for all your moving needs!”

I’m sorry, I didn’t sleep much last night and I might be losing it

Reactions: LincolnSwinger

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I think Kimbrel and Bryant will be traded today and it would not shock me if Javy goes too depending on where KB goes. Sounds like the Mets have some interest in a Javy + Davies package. Just ready for this to be over to see what is left when the dust settles. The hardest part was the reality of Rizzo getting traded so anything now isn't going to bother me much now they got the most emotional one of of the way IMO.

cycloneman003

Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Should be a busy day for the Cubs. I think there is no doubt Kimbrel and Bryant will be gone. I think Davies is probably. I think it's closer to 50/50 if Baez goes. Then with fact that there are no post deadline waiver trades anymore, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw some other really minor trade (Winkler, Brothers, Duffy, Chirinos, Marisnick).

Crazy to think that by the end of the day it's possible that we may have traded away the following list of players between this offseason and trade deadline

C: Victor Caratini
1B: Anthony Rizzo
SS: Javy Baez
3B: Kris Bryant
SP: Yu Darvish, Kyle Davies
RP: Craig Kimbrel, Andrew Chafin, Ryan Tepera

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I'm so tired of Baez striking out on low outside pitches with men on base (wild swinger) - why don't they move him?
Because much of his value is sentimental and specific to the cubs and there isn't as much market for a guy who is committing a ton of errors this year and has pretty much indicated he won't work on his plate approach

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Because much of his value is sentimental and specific to the cubs and there isn't as much market for a guy who is committing a ton of errors this year and has pretty much indicated he won't work on his plate approach

He's fun as hell to watch when he is at his best but he's leaving a lot of money on the table by not making changes with his plate approach. He'd be one of the top paid SS in the game if he'd cut down on chasing the bad pitches he does.

Last edited:
Reactions: CycloneBob

CRCySpy

Oct 16, 2020
Cedar Rapids, IA
He's fun as he'll to watch when he is at his best but he's leaving a lot of money on the table by not making changes with his plate approach. He'd be one of the top paid SS in the game if he'd cut down on chasing the bad pitches he does.
Javy is at his best when he uses right field more. I thought the light bulb came on in 2018 and Javy was going to be a star for years to come. He finished second in MVP voting and when pitchers would throw him away he went opposite field with it. Now he's back to trying to pull everything. He has enough power to hit the ball out the other way, but even if he doesn't, going the other way could mean more singles, doubles and would keep pitchers from just throwing him down and away. He's frustrating and not an OBP guy at all. He only walks twice a month.

I hope the Cubs don't give him a ton of money and resign him. It's time to move on from El Mago.

Reactions: CycloneBob

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Predictions for today

Kimbrel to Dodgers for Gavin Lux
KB to Mets for Preciano

I’d love to see Javy moved but don’t think it will happen. I fear the FO will overpay him in the offseason and pull off a “see, we didn’t lose everybody!” stunt

I'd take both of those as long as the Mets throw in a couple lottery tickets.

I know I'm on an island here but you have to resign Javy. We get too wrapped up in the things he CAN'T do versus the things that he can. Plus, when you hear Latin free agents, like Christian Hernandez, talking about coming to the Cubs because of Javy the value increases.

Help Support Us

Become a patron