***Official 2017 Transfer Thread***

NetflixAndClone

Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
I wouldn't mind having 3 point guards. Many school make two work but that would be a small lineup if we did 3 guards that are all 6'2" or under. I know you can't always be picky but I would love to pick up a 3-4 guard/forward hybrid grad transfer. Someone who can handle the ball but is also around 6'4 to 6'6.

I think we will be fine in the guard position I'm more worried about forwards and getting quality size.

LLCoolJansma

Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
There were a number of posts saying it wasn't a need prior to Kane committing with Matt and Monte coming in as top 100 freshman at the guard spots. We saw how that played out and the benefit of having someone to teach and take pressure off Monte and a second option when Matt has some freshman struggles.

Having an additional ball handler added to this team would be a good move. Many of us think Jackson and Wigginton can man the point next year, but neither has proven it yet. Having a third option with experience and Prohm's belief in playing upperclassmen first allowing freshman to adjust to the B12 seems like a prudent move. It would also give insurance if Babb, Wigginton or Jackson get a sprained ankle or something.

Getting a Stretch 4 post is more of a priority for next year but the second target should be another guard that handle with experience is a second be especially with 4 scholarships open.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
There were a number of posts saying it wasn't a need prior to Kane committing with Matt and Monte coming in as top 100 freshman at the guard spots. We saw how that played out and the benefit of having someone to teach and take pressure off Monte and a second option when Matt has some freshman struggles.

Having an additional ball handler added to this team would be a good move. Many of us think Jackson and Wigginton can man the point next year, but neither has proven it yet. Having a third option with experience and Prohm's belief in playing upperclassmen first allowing freshman to adjust to the B12 seems like a prudent move. It would also give insurance if Babb, Wigginton or Jackson get a sprained ankle or something.

Getting a Stretch 4 post is more of a priority for next year but the second target should be another guard that handle with experience is a second be especially with 4 scholarships open.

Yeah who was it thought that Bubu was going to better than Kane? That was fun

Reactions: isutrevman

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
.... I like our pg prospects, but a guy that spent two years as a pg, and has also played the off guard sounds perfect. .....

I agree that we need an experienced PG grad transfer. There are plenty of minutes to share. Can't have too many guards as we saw this year. Agree with the earlier post, however, that most might not want to come to ISU to share the role with it being their last year.

Cyforce

Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I agree that we need an experienced PG grad transfer. There are plenty of minutes to share. Can't have too many guards as we saw this year. Agree with the earlier post, however, that most might not want to come to ISU to share the role with it being their last year.

I think Jackson and Wigginton are versatile enough that if we only add one backcourt player we simply take the best available. Personally I would prefer a shooter w/ some size.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Count me in the group that isn't crazy about Jackson playing the point next year. Don't get me wrong, it isn't that I think he can't play the point, but I just feel his true effectiveness could really take a steep drop at the point. Jackson is deadly at shooting the 3 ball, particularly when he is open and assisted. When playing the point, I think he'll quickly realize how drastically the number of those open looks disappear when you've got the ball in your hands so much more. Good example would be Jake Sullivan. Shoot, even look at Monte. I don't really think Monte truly mastered the art of creating his own shots too well until Senior year. Secondly, I also just wish the dude was about 2 inches taller (closer to Monte's height), which would help him drastically with everything in running the point, as well as scoring at the point. Again, don't get me wrong, I don't want to doubt his PG abilities too much as he could easily prove me wrong, but rather I think his skill set would simply be of greater value if we could get him off the ball doing what he does best. I have no doubt he could turn into one of the best shooting guards in the nation.

As for Lindell Wigginton running the point, I plead the 5th due to a lack of information. I just haven't seen enough of him to tell. Maybe he is a great PG, maybe he is more like Jackson where he would be better being utilized off the ball. If they are both off-the-ball type guys, then I wouldn't be opposed to bringing in an experience graduate senior point guard. If so, shoot, there is easily room for all 3 guys to be on the court at the same time. With next years team, there is PLENTY of PT to go around. Also, just because you are off the ball doesn't mean that there isn't room for any of them to shine.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

Messi

Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Does TCU have many scholarships to give? Seems like they have a lot of players returning.

They graduate 4 seniors none of whom averaged over 6 ppg. They have 4 incoming freshman so unless they have some attrition they won't be a major player on the transfer market

• Informative
Reactions: Doc

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
I'm coming around to the thought of Jackson playing off the ball. Wigginton is a guy that needs it in his hands, so we let him create much like we let Morris (high pick and roll, coming off baseline screens) and let Jackson take the Naz/Thomas role (coming off baseline screens, spotting up in the corner). I don't think Jackson really cares about "playing PG" as much as he cares about getting shots up. He should have plenty of opportunities to get his because we will need him to.

We will need our posts to step up in rebounding and defense because Naz and Thomas were both good floor players in addition to their shooting. I'm not sure Jackson and Wigginton have the size to affect the game in the defensive paint (although Wigginton looks strong and can jump, he's 6'1").

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
I wouldn't mind having 3 point guards. Many school make two work but that would be a small lineup if we did 3 guards that are all 6'2" or under. I know you can't always be picky but I would love to pick up a 3-4 guard/forward hybrid grad transfer. Someone who can handle the ball but is also around 6'4 to 6'6.

Soooo like Babb??

This isn't aimed at just you Netflix, but I don't get the want for another PG, especially a combo guard. Unless you're bringing in another Morris that is great with the ball, what's the point? Even then, next year's offense probably isn't going to have the luxury to have a non scorer in the backcourt. A guy like Wilson, just an example, is more of the same that we already have.

I understand people being nervous about DJ and Wiggington handling the ball, but that's reality for the rest of college basketball. When imagining next year's years team, think about the years we had Lucious and Allen as PGs, but hopefully better shooters/scorers next year.

• Agree
Reactions: Cynonymous

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Jackson was brought in to be the PG, Wigginton is being brought in to be the next PG. PG isn't a priority. A guard who can shoot is though and that is why Edwards is a target.
A pg that can shoot is the 2nd biggest priority after a stretch/point four. It's like how a square is also a rectangle- if he's a pg that can shoot he can be what we need when we need it.

If we were returning all but Morris and adding Lewis and Lard we probably could get by with hoping Wigginton and Jackson will learn quickly, like Fred's second year. (No, I'm not saying those two are like Allen and Scotty). We absolutely have a need for a guy (or two) that have experience getting buckets and running a team at this level.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017

I think we will be fine in the guard position I'm more worried about forwards and getting quality size.

I think Jackson and Wigginton are versatile enough that if we only add one backcourt player we simply take the best available. Personally I would prefer a shooter w/ some size.

I think almost everyone agrees the ideal scenario is getting another Kane. A 6'4" beast pg/SG/sf with experience that can shoot, drive, dish, rebound and is hungry to win.

Reactions: Triggermv

Help Support Us

Become a patron