No Goaltending Call - McKay Dunk

iowast8fan

Aug 3, 2006
Ankeny
I'm guessing it can't be reviewed because there was no stop in action. It resulted in a rebound and action to the other side of the court. Let's say the rebounding team gets the ball and a fast break for an easy score. You could argue that fast break wouldn't have been possible if they count the basket and the other team has to inbounds. A three point shot on the other hand ends in points and the ball being inbounded.

I don't know the rule on reviews, though. I'm just throwing **** at a ceiling fan and seeing where it splatters.

iowast8fan

Aug 3, 2006
Ankeny
I'm guessing it can't be reviewed because there was no stop in action. It resulted in a rebound and action to the other side of the court. Let's say the rebounding team gets the ball and a fast break for an easy score. You could argue that fast break wouldn't have been possible if they count the basket and the other team has to inbounds. A three point shot on the other hand ends in points and the ball being inbounded.

I don't know the rule on reviews, though. I'm just throwing **** at a ceiling fan and seeing where it splatters.

Then again, I have seen the refs stop action during a fast break when the clock hasn't started. So what do I know?

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
What I don't understand is why Refs are not required to talk to the media afterwards. They aren't held accountable whatsoever.

The media are allowed to designate a pool reporter to ask a question regarding a rules interpretation. If the local scribes aren't bright enough to do it, that's their problem.

CyFan03

Jun 5, 2010
Ames
How about Matty Ice getting called for a foul while getting tackled by an OSU player when he was grabbing a rebound?

Wasn't the refs best night, that's for sure.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
Playing devil's advocate here, but in real time it sounded and looked like he might have clanked it off the rim.

How was Mckay supposed to know his head was made of metal?

kingcy

Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
They'll review if a toe is on the three point line for a one point difference in scoring, but not a goal tend which would be a two point difference. Makes zero sense.

They will spend 5 mins reviewing if they should put .2 on the clock, they will spend time reviewing 2 seconds on the shot clock, but they will not review this.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
I have been waiting all year for Coach Prohm to go all Norman Dale on the Big 12 refs. It would have been the perfect time for him to yell "HAVE YOU GOT PIGEON #### IN YOUR EYES. An competent crew would have reviewed that play!

Rick

Mar 18, 2007
Ankeny
Watch the replay. The ref on the left side of the basket was watching the whole time. How he missed it baffles me and he should be embarrassed and harassed for missing the play.

That was a sick dunk too. The fact that all 3 refs missed that call is embarrassing.

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
I have been waiting all year for Coach Prohm to go all Norman Dale on the Big 12 refs. It would have been the perfect time for him to yell "HAVE YOU GOT PIGEON #### IN YOUR EYES. An competent crew would have reviewed that play!

Honest question because I don't know ....is goaltending/basket interference review able under the review rules now? If not they need to add it and if so it's absolute bs they didn't look at this. Between this and Tech we've been on the bad end of a couple ridiculous missed calls....not that we're not used to that.

hoiballin33

Nov 7, 2014
How about Matty Ice getting called for a foul while getting tackled by an OSU player when he was grabbing a rebound?

Wasn't the refs best night, that's for sure.

This was really bad, might even be worse. The dunk.....maybe it's a bang-bang play and you just weren't quick enough to see it. I guess I can give you about a quarter ounce of sympathy on that call.

Matt went straight up for the rebound, the OSU player came in at about 45 degrees and nails Matt, then Matt gets called for the foul. That's really bad.

I'd love to know if the refs go watch film after the game to see where they screwed up. They've got lots of film study from this game.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Honest question because I don't know ....is goaltending/basket interference review able under the review rules now? If not they need to add it and if so it's absolute bs they didn't look at this. Between this and Tech we've been on the bad end of a couple ridiculous missed calls....not that we're not used to that.
It's not reviewable, it's considered a judgment call, which sometimes it is but not in this case.

Blackhawk6515

Jul 21, 2008
It's too bad our coach can't stand up for his players in a situation like that instead of sitting on his hands. Hey Steve-O win the PLAY. I'm not asking to go all Bill Self, but at least argue the call.

Help Support Us

Become a patron