NIL: TexAgs.com (CF equivalent at A&M) sponsors two players at $10,000 each for exclusive interviews ahead of SEC media days

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
Mar 27, 2006
I don't believe any salary cap exists for endorsement deals in any other industry. If you can find one, I'd be interested in understanding the reasoning for one.
This. Any kind of salary cap on NIL rights would be struck down almost immediately.

The NCAA missed its opportunity to get out in front of this, quite a while ago. Their stodginess bit them in the ass and now the pendulum has gone the other direction. Tough ****.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
Mar 27, 2006
I think it’s a little different because the endorsements are the sole payment for college athletes. I’m not arguing for or against a cap btw, just a thought I had and I was curious what @Mr Janny ‘s thoughts were because he’s been firmly on the NIL side the whole time and I respect his opinion/argument on the topic.
I don't see how it would possibly be legal to limit endorsements. Not on a large scale level. Certainly an individual school could probably implement it. They might be able to get by with it at a conference level, but anything done at a Power 5 level or higher is going to run into the same antitrust issues that they're currently trying to avoid.

My hope is that the Power 5 breaks away to form their own league and allows the players to unionize. This would allow for collective bargaining and provide structure/oversight for compensation, while bypassing antitrust laws.

Reactions: farminclone

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
My hope is that the Power 5 breaks away to form their own league and allows the players to unionize. This would allow for collective bargaining and provide structure/oversight for compensation, while bypassing antitrust laws.

With what I quoted, unless performance in the classroom (i.e. minimum GPA) is tied to any of this, wouldn't being a "university" team be nothing more than a formality? And for collective bargaining purposes, in the contact......are they going to be allowed to strike? If so, who is the adversary.....the university? If yes.......why? If a sponsor (private business is paying the player(s)....what right do they have to file grievance against the university? If not what then? Threaten to sit until all grievances with the sponsor have been satisfied. Once again......the university takes it on the chin.

BryceC

Mar 23, 2006
With what I quoted, unless performance in the classroom (i.e. minimum GPA) is tied to any of this, wouldn't being a "university" team be nothing more than a formality?

Yes.

And for collective bargaining purposes, in the contact......are they going to be allowed to strike?

Well, yes.

If so, who is the adversary.....the university? If yes.......why?

Maybe, only if their grievance is with the university.

If a sponsor (private business is paying the player(s)....what right do they have to file grievance against the university? If not what then? Threaten to sit until all grievances with the sponsor have been satisfied. Once again......the university takes it on the chin.

Why would they file a grievance with the university if the target is a private sponsor? Why would they threaten to sit if it's a grievance with a private sponsor? It would be much easier to sue if a private sponsor is breaching a contract.

Reactions: Mr Janny

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007

Yes what......that classroom performance will be tied to pay.....or that being a university team is just a formality?

Well, yes.

See below.

Maybe, only if their grievance is with the university.

Okay. If the university isn't paying them.....exactly what would be a grievance against the university look like......"gee, you can't make me go to class"!

Why would they file a grievance with the university if the target is a private sponsor? Why would they threaten to sit if it's a grievance with a private sponsor? It would be much easier to sue if a private sponsor is breaching a contract.

Answering a question with a question.......fine. Why would they file against the university instead of a private sponsor....it's called leverage. What leverage is....."if you don't pay me what I want t-shirt company....well, well...you can't use my name on your t-shirt". The sponsor will laugh and find someone else or not do it at all. What.....you and I along with the team suppose to go picket the t-shirt business because hey...."give him what he wants"? You want to go down that route? Knock yourself out. This is some funny s***.

BryceC

Mar 23, 2006
Yes what......that classroom performance will be tied to pay.....or that being a university team is just a formality?

Okay. If the university isn't paying them.....exactly what would be a grievance against the university look like......"gee, you can't make me go to class"!

Obviously the students would still be required to be students. That isn't in question here. I don't think pay would be tied to grade performance, but I think if a guy isn't going to stay eligible and get himself kicked off the team the sponsorship would be null and void, I'm assuming that will be in any contract signed by the athlete.

Again, if they don't want to go to class they'd be academically ineligible and lose the sponsorships so that's up to them.

Answering a question with a question.......fine. Why would they file against the university instead of a private sponsor....it's called leverage. What leverage is....."if you don't pay me what I want t-shirt company....well, well...you can't use my name on your t-shirt". The sponsor will laugh and find someone else or not do it at all. What.....you and I along with the team suppose to go picket the t-shirt business because hey...."give him what he wants"? You want to go down that route? Knock yourself out. This is some funny s***.

The reason I answered your question with a question is your hypothetical here is absolutely stupid. I was hoping you'd reflect upon it.

If a guy is going to sit out because a company won't sponsor him, his NIL just went from lower than he wants to absolute effing zero.

Both scenarios you're pointing out rely on slippery slope arguments (a logical fallacy), something that isn't even being remotely discussed (a straw man logical fallacy), and our players being absolutely stupid. It's possible that Campbell could recruit an entire team of idiots but I guess I don't think he will.

Mr Janny

Staff member
Bookie
Mar 27, 2006

See below.

I don't understand your scenario at all. A student files a grievance against the university because a sponsor won't pay them what they want? Is that what you're worried about?

Hoggins

Sep 2, 2019
Do you think there needs to be some kind of salary cap or limitation? You have been very pro-NIL from the beginning and I’m curious what your thoughts are on something like that.

Why would there be salary caps? This is capitalism at work

Help Support Us

Become a patron