NIL and Wrestling

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
How much money can realistically be made off of wrestling merch? I know my 6yo will want a shirt if David makes them.

Side note, speaking of these old shirts, I found an awesome one I had about 23 years ago with Chris Bono’s face on it. He signed the damn thing too. If I can find it again, I will post it. I’m hoping the kids mom didn’t throw it away. It was a little……. worn.
I have/had one of those too. Went to an isu camp after my junior year

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
IMO it's naive to think NIL won't hurt Athletic Departments.

I have no issue with players leveraging their NIL. But if players are going to earn more than beer money from signing autographs for fans, their target audience for NIL sponsorships will be the same audience the AD targets. Especially in smaller economic areas like Ames, Iowa City and Iowa.

For example, would Pioneer prefer to donate $ to ISU for arena signage or have Breece Hall paid to do commercials? Most businesses don't have unlimited marketing budgets.
It might hurt the Schools AD. However, it might have the reverse effect and benefit the School & AD. Let's focus on the $$$ sports (FB & Men's BB). Let's say those guys who leave early to take NFL/NBA money are able to stick around and finish out their college career AND make some serious money. Maybe some of them might decide to stick around, get their degrees and jump to the Pro's after they've exhausted their college eligibility. The NCAA & Schools might just steal some revenue from the Pro's because their product gets even better. In this case the player sticking around are not really taking $$ that would have otherwise went to the School/AD. Just another scenario to consider.

Either way I see this as a win for any sport that the Athlete has to pay his/her own way. IF a wrestler can make a few extra bucks on NIL that's also another way a coach can recruit. IF that program can build a strong regional fan base that can pull some local businesses to use their athletes in some NIL campaigns. Wrestling has been doing it for years in the RTC programs via athlete fundraising. I'd think they would have a head start on potential businesses to Market too. I'd also think Dresser is as equipped as any coach in the country to tap into this new opportunity and use it to his programs advantage.

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
My concern is how this will impact recruiting. If the programs with big boosters start entering into NIL agreements with athletes, the attraction to go to that school becomes much greater. This may make it more difficult for the smaller school programs to compete in recruiting the higher profile incoming athletes.

ACSlater

Nov 28, 2012
My son went to one of the camps and several of the instructors were current and former ISU wrestlers. They might as well have been Super heros or Olympic Gods, based on the way they came off in his 6 year old perception. They were absolutely incredible, and I guarantee we would have bought some branded merchandise if it had been available.
Guessing fans like you are the reason these kids will do very well with NIL.
I’m still trying to figure out why anyone would send a 6 year old to a wrestling camp.

Reactions: crablegs

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
My concern is how this will impact recruiting. If the programs with big boosters start entering into NIL agreements with athletes, the attraction to go to that school becomes much greater. This may make it more difficult for the smaller school programs to compete in recruiting the higher profile incoming athletes.
New flash, these programs already have a significant advantage and it is extremely hard for smaller schools to compete.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
Mar 27, 2006
Guessing fans like you are the reason these kids will do very well with NIL.
I’m still trying to figure out why anyone would send a 6 year old to a wrestling camp.
Are you kidding me? It was great. Ames has a wrestling club for kids as young as four. My son loved it, and wanted more. The camp was fantastic. It was just fun for him. It's mostly fundamentals for kids that young, and games that teach agility and a little bit of technique. In my hometown, in North Iowa, the wrestling clubs all started at that age. They were a blast.

Reactions: cy4state

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
How much money can realistically be made off of wrestling merch? I know my 6yo will want a shirt if David makes them.

Side note, speaking of these old shirts, I found an awesome one I had about 23 years ago with Chris Bono’s face on it. He signed the damn thing too. If I can find it again, I will post it. I’m hoping the kids mom didn’t throw it away. It was a little……. worn.
Went to an ISU wrestling camp in the 80's. One of the team members invited us over to his apartment and sold us a bunch of his old workout gear. He probably made $100 that day.

• Haha
Reactions: CyGold

Help Support Us

Become a patron