George's Niang
Mike Rose
Melvin Ejim
Marcus Fizer

Probably obvious I became a fan in 98

inCyteful

Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
I absolutely love Coach Mac (see avatar). But, respectfully, you absolutely can’t put him in ahead of Campbell. You just can’t. He just won the Fiesta Bowl. He GOT Brock, who’s on your list too. And the man is just getting started….

Understood but I don't think we even get CMC if Coach Mac hadn't done what he did. Glad both of them took the challenge here in any case.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
He has kind of a cold relationship with the university, doesn’t he? That probably plays a part.

Yeah which I'd guess too.

However all indications are that one of the most popular mentioned in this thread wasn't all that warm and fuzzy and didn't see it beyond much more than business.

JM4CY

Aug 23, 2012
America
Understood but I don't think we even get CMC if Coach Mac hadn't done what he did. Glad both of them took the challenge here in any case.
tenor.gif

farminclone

Nov 16, 2009
I personally think it’s easier for basketball players to be popular vs football players. More games, you see their faces while they play, there are fewer of them, etc.

I also think players from the last 15 years have an advantage over prior players due to social media and overall exposure. Niang can just randomly get on Twitter and proclaim his love for ISU anytime he wants, 30 years ago they’d have to be asked about it in an interview or he’d have to write a formal op-ed in a paper or release a formal statement.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

SoilCon1

Feb 23, 2013
Johnny would have been unbelievable. I would have signed up for Twitter just to get his crazy one liners.
That be awesome but that would be like trying to reproduce Blazing Saddles.
Niang would be close. His press conference with Fred after beating Iowa was classic Johnny.

Last edited:

JM4CY

Aug 23, 2012
America
Seneca
Breece Hall
Monte Morris
Jamaal Tinsley
Brock Purdy

HM
George's Niang
Mike Rose
Melvin Ejim
Marcus Fizer

Probably obvious I became a fan in 98
All good but I just don’t see how you can make a “popular” list with Georges. He is still completely adored in Ames and throughout cyclone nation. Monte deserves some love though, I agree. I think 20 years from now that many will forget just how special of a PG he was.

bsaltyman

One flip wonder
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
I think this thread has covered the “most popular” Cyclones pretty well.
As far as my personal favorite Cyclones:
1. Niang. He was one of the best ever on the court, an expert troll of TOE, and quite the personality in general.
2. Tyrus McGee. I was able to talk with him quite a bit during Cy’s House of Trivia one year, and it was amazing how friendly he was. See my avatar pic. I loved watching him drain threes after coming around a screen at full speed.
3. Joel Lanning. The dude is a legend IMO for playing both sides of the ball. Most QBs would have transferred if they were in his shoes, but he not only was able to switch to linebacker, but he ended up being an all-American.
4. Tyrese Haliburton. How can anyone not love this guy? He never stops smiling.
5. Allen Lazard. We probably don’t win the Liberty Bowl against Memphis if he doesn’t catch a tipped ball in the back of the end zone for a TD. It’s a crime that he wasn’t drafted. He’s also on my list for taking a shot of tequila with me once in the basement of Mickey’s.

Reactions: HFCS

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
All good but I just don’t see how you can make a “popular” list with Georges. He is still completely adored in Ames and throughout cyclone nation. Monte deserves some love though, I agree. I think 20 years from now that many will forget just how special of a PG he was.

It's just my own and mainly who I liked watching most. I'd probably put Georges #1 if I was guessing popularity. He's my favorite personality. I might put Fizer #1 if it was just who dominated most.

Monte is all over the Big 12 career record book including #1 in some pretty major stats. I also just loved how dedicated he was.

Reactions: JM4CY

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I think this thread has covered the “most popular” Cyclones pretty well.
As far as my personal favorite Cyclones:
1. Niang. He was one of the best ever on the court, an expert troll of TOE, and quite the personality in general.
2. Tyrus McGee. I was able to talk with him quite a bit during Cy’s House of Trivia one year, and it was amazing how friendly he was. See my avatar pic. I loved watching him drain threes after coming around a screen at full speed.
3. Joel Lanning. The dude is a legend IMO for playing both sides of the ball. Most QBs would have transferred if they were in his shoes, but he not only was able to switch to linebacker, but he ended up being an all-American.
4. Tyrese Haliburton. How can anyone not love this guy? He never stops smiling.
5. Allen Lazard. We probably don’t win the Liberty Bowl against Memphis if he doesn’t catch a tipped ball in the back of the end zone for a TD. It’s a crime that he wasn’t drafted. He’s also on my list for taking a shot of tequila with me once in the basement of Mickey’s.

Like the Lanning mention. Wish we'd have called our offense to his strengths more like KSU did at that time.

Reactions: bsaltyman

JM4CY

Aug 23, 2012
America
It's just my own and mainly who I liked watching most. I'd probably put Georges #1 if I was guessing popularity. He's my favorite personality. I might put Fizer #1 if it was just who dominated most.

Monte is all over the Big 12 career record book including #1 in some pretty major stats. I also just loved how dedicated he was.
Fizer really needs mentioned. There was nothing anyone could do to stop him. NOTHING.

Reactions: CYdTracked

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I absolutely love Coach Mac (see avatar). But, respectfully, you absolutely can’t put him in ahead of Campbell. You just can’t. He just won the Fiesta Bowl. He GOT Brock, who’s on your list too. And the man is just getting started….

I stay away from coaches. Can get touchy.

Fizer really needs mentioned. There was nothing anyone could do to stop him. NOTHING.

It was always a physical mismatch. Plus he came back when he was a guaranteed first rounder as a sophomore.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
Like the Lanning mention. Wish we'd have called our offense to his strengths more like KSU did at that time.
During the prime of his career, Jake Knott would probably had similar popularity. Obviously, the off the field stuff since his playing days have reduced his popularity, but if we're just talking about what they could have pulled with the NIL in place, Jake deserves mention.

• Agree
Reactions: Lyon309Cy

alarson

Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
With the original thoughts of the OP in mind, it raises a different but related question- which cyclones could have monetized themselves the most had they been allowed?

Hoiberg for sure is up there. Niang probably too.

Help Support Us

Become a patron