McGee

Trojbrown

Mar 23, 2012
West Des Moines, IA
McGee is the MVP on the team so far. Not only on the offensive side of the court but on the defensive side. The guy hustles on both ends. Babb is supposed to be a shutdown defender but got schooled against Cincy and UNLV. Plus for as many minutes Babb played, he gave us nothing of a spark on Offense. To play over 25 minutes and only give us 3 points a game isn't going to cut it. McGee needs to start and play 35 minutes a game.

Really disappointed by the play of Clyburn and Lucious so far. They look like selfish individual players so far trying to get their stats. They need to play team ball and their stats will come without trying to force it. I expected way more of them...but it's early. Fred will get these guys on the right track and coach em up. Don't panic yet everyone.

nallen34

Apr 9, 2010
Ankeny, IA
Don't give me the energy off the bench crap either.

Exactly. The most annoying BS thing people continually say. Irritates the hell out of me when people say this. Why bring the energy off the bench when you can start the energy. If as a coach you continuously need to bring in someone to give you a spark right away off of the bench; you probably aren't starting the right players.

Big_Sill

Aug 4, 2008
Exactly. The most annoying BS thing people continually say. Irritates the hell out of me when people say this. Why bring the energy off the bench when you can start the energy. If as a coach you continuously need to bring in someone to give you a spark right away off of the bench; you probably aren't starting the right players.

Minutes matter, not who starts. I don't know why the coaching staff likes to bring tyrus off the bench, and neither do you. There are many potential reasons for this strategy. As of right now Tyrus should get more minutes (30 ish IMO) and I don't care if this is from the "bench" or "starting". "Starting" is something you tell you girlfriend who doesn't know anything about basketball in order to impress her.

nallen34

Apr 9, 2010
Ankeny, IA
Minutes matter, not who starts. I don't know why the coaching staff likes to bring tyrus off the bench, and neither do you. There are many potential reasons for this strategy. As of right now Tyrus should get more minutes (30 ish IMO) and I don't care if this is from the "bench" or "starting". "Starting" is something you tell you girlfriend who doesn't know anything about basketball in order to impress her.

the best players should start and play the most minutes. Mcgee is better than Babb.

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
For me this has nothing to do with status or respect. It's about the best player on our team starting. No brainer.

With McGee not starting the 1st 4 minutes in the 1st and 2nd half, the team loses rhythm. It's important to start both halves strong, and the chances of that happening without McGee are much lower. I haven't seen anything that I like out of Lucious. Hopefully he will get less playing time unless he turns it around.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I agree that right now McGee is the best player on our team and he really deserves to start. If Babb can't start bringing more to the table offensively TM should replace him in the first unit. Especially in light of the Mary Jane incident

cyclone87

Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
McGee is the MVP on the team so far. Not only on the offensive side of the court but on the defensive side. The guy hustles on both ends. Babb is supposed to be a shutdown defender but got schooled against Cincy and UNLV. Plus for as many minutes Babb played, he gave us nothing of a spark on Offense. To play over 25 minutes and only give us 3 points a game isn't going to cut it. McGee needs to start and play 35 minutes a game.

Really disappointed by the play of Clyburn and Lucious so far. They look like selfish individual players so far trying to get their stats. They need to play team ball and their stats will come without trying to force it. I expected way more of them...but it's early. Fred will get these guys on the right track and coach em up. Don't panic yet everyone.

Disagree on Clyburn, he played his *** off against UNLV and was forced to play pg. 21 pts and 16 rebs for him in that game, and he is leading the team in ppg (tied with McGee) and rebounds (averaging close to a double double).

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I was wondering who would start after Babb was suspended to start the season. I thought McGee played great the first few games but it's hard to tell against that kind of talent. Based on what we have seen in all the games thus far, it's clear McGee should start. His game has improved on both ends of the court but especially defensively. So far we have Babb, Booker, and Lucious starting and it's hard to count on consistent points from that group. They all have their games or runs but what we need is consistent scoring. Ejim and Clyburn have had off nights but generally put up points. We need more than two people on the court that can score the ball.

ETL2424

Nov 9, 2008
Right now, I'm thoroughly unimpressed with Babb on both ends of the floor. Even in the Campbell game, he struggled guarding Darren White. White had 6 points for a long period of time with multiple ISU defenders on him. Then they put Babb on him & White scored 8 quick points. Then Babb really struggled mightily in the Cincinnati game. He's supposed to be this "lock down defender." When Babb was suspended, he was spending alot of time fooling around on his phone while the game was going on instead of actually paying attention. I just think Tyrus has earned the role of being a starter. Much more deserving than Babb.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

I've been a big advocate of McGee as energy-off-the-bench. But that also assumes the starting unit maximizes its strengths.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

It's fair to question the staff after the Cincy and UNLV games, don't you think?

Big_Sill

Aug 4, 2008
It's fair to question the staff after the Cincy and UNLV games, don't you think?

Absolutely fair, and I'd love to hear the response. It seems people here are assuming 1 or both of the following

1) The staff hasn't figured out Tyrus is our best player -- most certianly not true
2) He is coming off the bench in order to give us energy -- could be true

Other reasons he might be coming off the bench

1) Starting Babb may prevent the other teams stop scorer from getting rolling early
2) Concerns that tyrus may get early fouls
3) Pressure of starting
4) using Mcgee's scoring on the oppositions 2nd team defensive unit
5) Getting Babb going early could be a weapon -- we know he is very streaky
6) his Inside out game is better matched with Percy and Niang
7) ........

I think we all agree his minutes should go up ( i think 30ish per game), I just don't see why anyone would care if those are as a "starter" or not.

Reactions: CyMyGuy

CyMyGuy

Sep 7, 2012
St. Paul, MN
Absolutely fair, and I'd love to hear the response. It seems people here are assuming 1 or both of the following

1) The staff hasn't figured out Tyrus is our best player -- most certianly not true
2) He is coming off the bench in order to give us energy -- could be true

Other reasons he might be coming off the bench

1) Starting Babb may prevent the other teams stop scorer from getting rolling early
2) Concerns that tyrus may get early fouls
3) Pressure of starting
4) using Mcgee's scoring on the oppositions 2nd team defensive unit
5) Getting Babb going early could be a weapon -- we know he is very streaky
6) his Inside out game is better matched with Percy and Niang
7) ........

I think we all agree his minutes should go up ( i think 30ish per game), I just don't see why anyone would care if those are as a "starter" or not.

While I have no clue if this is part of the decision for coach or not, I do know that Tyrus getting in early foul trouble could spell disaster for the team. Ejim is great as an energy guy but not in the same way as McGee. If Tyrus was to get neutralized from the game early, I think we'd have a big problem inserting energy throughout the stagnant periods on the floor. Just my 2 cents though. We can all agree that we love seeing Tyrus out there.

St810s

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
West Des Moines
I think this should be our starting lineup:

Long
Okoro
Fowler
Ellerman
Water boy

Just think of all the scoring, rebounding, and energy that will come off the bench!

:jimlad:

McGee is our best player. You start your best players.

BringBackJohnny

Feb 11, 2009
Ames
If McGee keeps playing well on both ends of the court and does not have fall off with the extra minutes he will start. Who he will start over is totally performance based. If you show up night in and night out and bring it you will play. Fred does not care who you are see his benching of CA last season. CA manned up and played some great hoop down the stretch. Thats what good basektball players do they compete night in and night out. Right now McGee wants to compete and compete at a high level. He will get his minutes.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
Clyburn has been very good. I don't really like to talk about best players, since basketball is such an intrinsically team sport, and there are so many factors which don't end up on stat sheets. Also I think it is counterproductive, since "best players" on teams that aren't competitive, don't matter in the long run. Basketball is about 5 players on the court. I am not worried about McGee getting what he deserves. If he is thinking basketball, he will be thinking, how do I help this team win, not how can I get the starting position. If giving the starting position to McGee is what CFH thinks needs to happen to win, he will get that position. Fred wouldn't want to hurt his own chances.

Help Support Us

Become a patron