Marcus Fizer Jr.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I might have been thinking of CJ, but he was actually paid by the league so I'm not sure. The NCAA ignoring others and screwing him fits, though.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
I might have been thinking of CJ, but he was actually paid by the league so I'm not sure. The NCAA ignoring others and screwing him fits, though.

The one that was committed in what would have been Fizer's senior year was Ernest Brown. 7'footer out of Indian Hills. I believe he got a cup of coffee in the NBA so he was no slouch. I think it was academics that got him, though I could be wrong.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
The one that was committed in what would have been Fizer's senior year was Ernest Brown. 7'footer out of Indian Hills. I believe he got a cup of coffee in the NBA so he was no slouch. I think it was academics that got him, though I could be wrong.

Brown signed with an agent and went to the draft instead of coming to ISU.

NorthCyd

Aug 22, 2011
I thought he played in like one game or something like that? I remember I was so excited he finally got in to play and then he was gone. Maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I thought he played in like one game or something like that? I remember I was so excited he finally got in to play and then he was gone. Maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

He would have joined the roster in 00-01, but was in the same draft as Fizer (2000).

NorthCyd

Aug 22, 2011
He would have joined the roster in 00-01, but was in the same draft as Fizer (2000).
Must be someone else. There was some other juco 7 footer that had a ton of hype but he actually made it to campus. I think he only played in like one game and then left the team.

Edit: I got it. Chris Alexander a few years later.

EvilBetty

Sep 7, 2012

I think another lost opportunity in that 99-2000 class was Jerome harper.

Edit: I believe he wanted to come to isu, didn't make grades. Went to Indian hills, then didn't make the grades again. Then was a suspect in a murder case.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Must be someone else. There was some other juco 7 footer that had a ton of hype but he actually made it to campus. I think he only played in like one game and then left the team.

Edit: I got it. Chris Alexander a few years later.

That 02-03 class was rough: Tim Barnes, Jerome Harper, Chris Alexander, Haluska, and Vroman.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
2nd hand info, but I was told well before then that he wasn’t coming back.

I don't think anyone thought he was coming back. When I first read the fire story about a month ago, I was thoroughly shocked there was any sort of consideration occurring

NorthCyd

Aug 22, 2011
I don't think anyone thought he was coming back. When I first read the fire story about a month ago, I was thoroughly shocked there was any sort of consideration occurring
I don't think he was considering coming back once he started to take off. I remember people talked about him driving a nice new vehicle around campus half way through the season and it seemed everyone knew he was gone at that point.

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
I can see a scenario where both views of Fizer's last year were true. I think it's possible that during the regular season he thought that it would be his last year but after getting to the Elite Eight and losing the way we did, he may have changed his mind until he learned about the fire.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
That 02-03 class was rough: Tim Barnes, Jerome Harper, Chris Alexander, Haluska, and Vroman.

Yeah Alexander ended up having a baby in Chicago or something and went back home to take care of it. He seemed to have a little potential but from what I heard talking to the coaches. Most of his potential was him being dominate in Juco because Juco didn't have any big guys. So he showed out better than he ended up being in his short time at Iowa State. The coaches were not even that mad that he was leaving and just kind of said good luck kid.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I don't know for sure, but I think that was somebody a little more recent than that. I'm probably wrong but Lucca Staiger pops into my head thinking about that issue you talked about.
You are correct. Staiger had to sit out a year for playing in a league that gave some players "benefits in excess of the NCAA limits" even though he received no money. Lucca had actually checked with the NCAA before joining the league and chose that league because he was told it wouldn't endanger his eligibility - but they changed their minds and levied the maximum penalty on him of one year.

Sorry about the messed up formatting...

Reactions: Cyclonepride

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
You are correct. Staiger had to sit out a year for playing in a league that gave some players "benefits in excess of the NCAA limits" even though he received no money. Lucca had actually checked with the NCAA before joining the league and chose that league because he was told it wouldn't endanger his eligibility - but they changed their minds and levied the maximum penalty on him of one year.

Sorry about the messed up formatting...
Makes you love 'em (NCAA) even more.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

UnCytely

Sep 24, 2017
Council Bluffs, Iowa

The way I remember is, he wanted to play with Marcus Fizer at ISU, but decided to go pro when Fizer decided to.

That would have been a wickedly good team in 2000-2001 with Fizer and Brown! TWO McDonald's All-Americans! (Brown was, also)

mplueg

Oct 27, 2009
The day it was announced Tinsley was dropping out of school “to concentrate on the draft” he was cruising Welch in a brand new Cadillac Escalade as I walked my ass to Towers too

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and Peter

MushroomPinball

Apr 4, 2017
The way I remember is, he wanted to play with Marcus Fizer at ISU, but decided to go pro when Fizer decided to.

That would have been a wickedly good team in 2000-2001 with Fizer and Brown! TWO McDonald's All-Americans! (Brown was, also)
I wonder if Cory Hightower would have came with Ernest Brown to ISU?

Help Support Us

Become a patron