Likely Starters. Banks, Bowen, and......?

Drews79

Apr 11, 2006
Bibbs? I really hope that Michael Bibbs can work his way into the starting role at linebacker. He will have to earn it though. Everything I have heard about Bibbs is that he is an absolute stud. As said, he originally signed with Arkansas out of high school and was one of the top preps in the city of Atlanta. He is approx 6'3" and 230 lbs. He used to play corner, then safety, and now linebacker since he has gotten bigger. They say he can lineup with a receiver and cover him. I hope Raven, Smith, and Garrin will be solid as well.
I have nothing against the other linebackers we have but I think Bibbs has the size, speed, and athleticism to be a stud like Bowen.

"The Killer B's" @ linebacker.

I'll trust chizik to start whoever can understand the concepts and make the most plays.

clonerules

Apr 11, 2006
Bibbs? I really hope that Michael Bibbs can work his way into the starting role at linebacker. He will have to earn it though. Everything I have heard about Bibbs is that he is an absolute stud. As said, he originally signed with Arkansas out of high school and was one of the top preps in the city of Atlanta. He is approx 6'3" and 230 lbs. He used to play corner, then safety, and now linebacker since he has gotten bigger. They say he can lineup with a receiver and cover him. I hope Raven, Smith, and Garrin will be solid as well.
I have nothing against the other linebackers we have but I think Bibbs has the size, speed, and athleticism to be a stud like Bowen.

"The Killer B's" @ linebacker.

I'll trust chizik to start whoever can understand the concepts and make the most plays.

it would be nice to get adam back as well!

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
Well Banks and Bowen are OLB so the only spot would be MLB. He would have to beat out Garrin and Smith. Who knows what would happen with those three battling for 1 spot. If he didn't win the MLB spot, I wouldn't be suprised if he went back to safety. He definitely has the speed to play back there. But if he did win the MLB spot we are gonna have a lot of speed at MLB but not much bulk. Who knows what gonna happen though.

Johnny8

Oct 18, 2006
Ames, IA
In the Tampa 2 defense, the MLB is generally more speedy than bulky, as he is often assigned to coverage. There's been a lot of talk that Chizik is gonna run this type of defense, but who really knows? If so, he may be the perfect fit.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Urbandale, IA
www.cyclones.com
I am silently kinda rooting for Adam Carper, just cuz he would be a feel good story who you KNOW wants to be out there full speed, but I could definitely catch on to the "Killer B's" at LB with Bowen, Banks, & Bibbs. I am REALLY excited for the defense this year...Maybe we will see another 2005 where these guys are gettin turnovers right and left. As for the Offense I am a little more timid compared to excited - we have the WR's (duh!) and some POTENTIAL at the RB position (doesn't necessarily mean we have it yet) and a smart senior QB with a chip on his shoulder. It's just all gonna boil down to how that O-line comes together.

dinger

Apr 20, 2006
Dallas, TX
is kris means not panning out like people thought he might or is he going to be a guy that continues to develop into a solid 4th year starter?

isu_bub

Apr 10, 2006
Ames, Iowa
I've heard Kris Means is not coming along as well as thought. He was thought to at least be on the two deeps coming out of his redshirt. It is still early though, give him time.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Means is a fullback and I wouldn't expect much from Carper other than a few minutes here or there. At least, for the first few weeks of the season.

I'm really pulling from him too. He's a great guy - plus - we suffered the same knee injury. I know what he's going through and it's not fun. Not even a little bit.

flander1649

Apr 20, 2006
Kansas City
Visit site
I think that Bibbs will be good at MLB but I really don't think that Garrin is going to give it up without a fight. One of my good friends was driving by the practice fields the Monday after the spring game and he saw two guys out there working out. It was Bowen and Garrin.

Cystate22

Apr 11, 2006
Reinbeck, Iowa
I think everyone will be very happy with Kris Means at fullback. If you are able to locate the video's of him in high school playing fullback you will be very happy. His speed will be a great addition to our offense. He was a very talented fullback coming out of high school in Colorado.

Al_4_State

Staff member
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I am silently kinda rooting for Adam Carper, just cuz he would be a feel good story who you KNOW wants to be out there full speed, but I could definitely catch on to the "Killer B's" at LB with Bowen, Banks, & Bibbs. I am REALLY excited for the defense this year...Maybe we will see another 2005 where these guys are gettin turnovers right and left. As for the Offense I am a little more timid compared to excited - we have the WR's (duh!) and some POTENTIAL at the RB position (doesn't necessarily mean we have it yet) and a smart senior QB with a chip on his shoulder. It's just all gonna boil down to how that O-line comes together.

Bingo. A couple weeks ago they had all of our games from last year on Cyclone Replay on Mediacom, and I watched it just to break down as much as I could last year's problems. I didn't remember exactly how terrible our tackling was (and it was) but one guy I noticed making solid form tackles was Carper. I honestly thought that after Ace and McKenzie, he was our best tackler. Bowen, Banks, and Carper would honestly be a pretty solid group at LB. I want to see him back out there.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I honestly thought that after Ace and McKenzie, he was our best tackler. Bowen, Banks, and Carper would honestly be a pretty solid group at LB. I want to see him back out there.

Agreed. Your linebackers should almost always be your best tacklers. If not...well...that could spell trouble.

That trio of linebackers would be very nice. We know for sure 2 will be there. I'm hoping Carper is too.

Drews79

Apr 11, 2006
Agreed. I hope Carper can have a full recovery this summer. He had a great game against Iowa last year. He was blowing up Iowa's quick pass/screen last year.

I think our linebackers will be awesome to watch next year. We all know what Bowen can do. Banks has been turning heads. Throw in Garrin, Carper, Smith, and Bibbs. This group might really excel under the Tampa 2.

bmuff

Apr 7, 2006
I think Bibbs is the guy. He has all the tools of a Tampa 2 MLB. I think that we have the "Killer B's" as starters. Backups should be Garrin, Carper (if healthy), Smith and Raven. If Bibbs is all he's supposed to be, LB should be a strength of the D.

muleboy09

Jan 14, 2007
I think with tuba up front; Bowen, Garrin and Banks in the middle and Bibbs and James Smith the safeties we would have a solid defense up the middle. Garrin is an absolute physical freak and if he can learn this defense he will impress alot of people.

Help Support Us

Become a patron