In memoriam of Brian Ferentz as Iowa's OC

2speedy1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2014
Maybe it's all just a formality, university knows it wants BG as the AD, has assurances that BG wants the gig, so this is just about going through the bureaucratic motions and the timing is essentially meaningless.
Still doesnt explain why they didnt do this Months ago, at least set up the search committee, I would think that would have been done back then, and them being ready to name the new AD about now. Not just starting to set up the committee, now.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Still doesnt explain why they didnt do this Months ago, at least set up the search committee, I would think that would have been done back then, and them being ready to name the new AD about now. Not just starting to set up the committee, now.
Maybe they were giving the interim AD space so she could sh*tcan Brian Ferentz.

2speedy1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2014
Maybe they were giving the interim AD space so she could sh*tcan Brian Ferentz.
So they cant be actively searching for a full time AD, and or discussing it with a committee etc and give her this space at the same time. What is she going to do now, without this space while the committee does its business?

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
So they cant be actively searching for a full time AD, and or discussing it with a committee etc and give her this space at the same time. What is she going to do now, without this space while the committee does its business?
What's funny is that if Iowa had announced a search committee earlier like you're saying they should have, you guys would've probably been saying what a dumb move that was, if BG was really the AD they wanted why start a search right away and send the message that they wanted someone else, etc. Lol.

2speedy1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2014
What's funny is that if Iowa had announced a search committee earlier like you're saying they should have, you guys would've probably been saying what a dumb move that was, if BG was really the AD they wanted why start a search right away and send the message that they wanted someone else, etc. Lol.
Why? Because as you say it is a formality. I would expect that BG would know she would have to at least compete with other interviewees, even if she is the favorite.

Again if they plan to just name her, then the formality is a waste of time and money. But if they need to do the formality for due diligence etc. why wait months to do this, as I would expect any time a job opens and there is an interim person in place they should always expect they are going to at least open the search and application process. As many state jobs have to at least be posted, etc even if the plan is to hire/promote from within, they have to follow state rules.

I would say the same thing if it was going on at ISU. It is a waste of time and money. But probably a formality that is required by the state., but if they waited this long to start the process, I would also question the delay.

The only thing I can see is the plan was to Hire BG, but wanted to give her basically an On Job interview, let her audition for a few months to see. Then now they are getting the formality out of the way so they can hire her. It still seems like a committee could have been in place to search and critique BG at the same time.

But there is a lot of bureaucracy to deal with in these types of jobs so we are probably being too critical of the process.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Why? Because as you say it is a formality. I would expect that BG would know she would have to at least compete with other interviewees, even if she is the favorite.

Again if they plan to just name her, then the formality is a waste of time and money. But if they need to do the formality for due diligence etc. why wait months to do this, as I would expect any time a job opens and there is an interim person in place they should always expect they are going to at least open the search and application process. As many state jobs have to at least be posted, etc even if the plan is to hire/promote from within, they have to follow state rules.

I would say the same thing if it was going on at ISU. It is a waste of time and money. But probably a formality that is required by the state., but if they waited this long to start the process, I would also question the delay.

The only thing I can see is the plan was to Hire BG, but wanted to give her basically an On Job interview, let her audition for a few months to see. Then now they are getting the formality out of the way so they can hire her. It still seems like a committee could have been in place to search and critique BG at the same time.

But there is a lot of bureaucracy to deal with in these types of jobs so we are probably being too critical of the process.
I'd think this is probably the most likely explanation.

Reactions: 2speedy1

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I guarantee I will go out of my way to paint the Hawks in the worst possible light. Every time.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
It’s standard operating procedure, but okay.
Yep. Serves 2 purposes:
1. When a committee makes a decision, no single person (ie President Barb) will get held reaponsible for a bad hire.
2. It reduces the chance of lawsuits due to individual bias. They will document everything.

What we need to look for is- will BG be a candidate that gets interviewed or not?

Maybe the Moonies will swagger it and get Kirk hired as AD and he will make Brain the new MFHFCIA (or whatever its called).

Reactions: CyDude16

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Serious question, what has she done that shows she is the perfect candidate? I honestly haven’t followed.

You can’t use firing BF either, because that was like Tee’d up for anyone. Any AD with half a brain knee he needed to be shipped down the road.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Hey Gonzo... what do you think the chances are right now of KF being back at Iowa next year?

I really have the gut feeling that he's done. He's been SO emotional this season... gets choked up after nearly every game. And you could tell after BF was canned... he was not a happy camper at all with how that was handled by the prez and AD. He can't be much of a fan of Beth at all.

And them making the Championship game this year, combined with the fact it will become nearly impossible after this year for Iowa to ever get back to this game again... he could go out 'on top'.

I just think everything points to him being done. But he surely loves money... he's proven over his career how important money is to him... so maybe he hangs on for just that reason??

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Hey Gonzo... what do you think the chances are right now of KF being back at Iowa next year?

I really have the gut feeling that he's done. He's been SO emotional this season... gets choked up after nearly every game. And you could tell after BF was canned... he was not a happy camper at all with how that was handled by the prez and AD. He can't be much of a fan of Beth at all.

And them making the Championship game this year, combined with the fact it will become nearly impossible after this year for Iowa to ever get back to this game again... he could go out 'on top'.

I just think everything points to him being done. But he surely loves money... he's proven over his career how important money is to him... so maybe he hangs on for just that reason??

I think between the money and the ego that all coaches have, I'm not sure I see him hanging it up yet. Seems like even the best coaches stay past their "expiration date" when it would've been better for all parties to move on earlier.

Now, if they somehow win tonight I could see him considering it to go out at that peak with everything else that happened this year. But I don't think he walks away from the $$ quite yet.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Way too close to Woody Hayes to walk away. He's hanging for two more years.

Side question: Does an Iowa win tonight cost Goetz the full time gig? I get that the Iowa offense is a disaster but an 11-2 Big Ten Champion that plays in an NY6 game doesn't have an AD meddling in staff decisions...

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

IMO it's 100% that KF will be back next year. KF is not a fan of big sudden movements. Calling it quits on the spot like that would be a very big sudden movement. I think he comes back for 1 year at least, if for no other reason than just to get his mind around the idea of retiring. Maybe 2 years, but I don't think it'll be more than that. He already hates NIL and will definitely hate all the new regular season road trips out West. He'll also probably hate playing the much tougher schedule and Iowa likely being a 6-7 win program, tops. I also think he'll want a little bit of a big deal made of his retirement, so letting the anticipation build and allowing for the tributes to roll in what will either be announced as his "final" season, or unannounced but one of those worst kept secret things where it's still known to be his "final" season, and going out on his terms.

Jdk

Feb 27, 2019
I have a gut feeling that Captain Kirk will hang it up after this season especially with bimbo Brian gone and what is coming in the big 10 for new teams plus no divisions it’s going to be some long years for the hoks

• Optimistic
Reactions: 1776