I'll say it

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
Maric may be "unstoppable" but one thing I noticed he does often is hook his defender with his elbow and then rotate around them so that the defender is "held" with his arm. Basically, he chicken wings everyone. He was called for it ONCE last night against Jiri but I believe could have been called about 6 times. Regardless, he is a good player. I don't look forward to playing him next year if he stays.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
6'3, 149.

All of you consider just how bad that is. Mono is nasty folks. There are better and worse cases of it - yet it's all the same - nasty.

We're lucky to have Ross playing as much and as well as he is. It's not great, yet he's helping us.

I was 6'2" 155 this morning and I've never had mono....:no6xn:

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Yeah...stay far, far away from cybsball20! Or, maybe we could get him to play the post. Giving up some height but maybe he could be a nice cog in the middle!

muleboy09

Jan 14, 2007
I have been hard on Clark, but that rebound with just over a minute left was HUGE. Reaching back over his head, grabbing it, and then laying it in sealed the win for the Clones. Also it's nice to have guards that make some free throws at the end of the game. I think Ross played as well as I have seen him play, Maric gets incredible position in the low block, by any means possible, so all he has to do is turn and lay it in. I think Ross did as well as anyone. Hats off to the Clones!

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
Jiri seems to be in a funk lately on both ends of the court and I see the frustration coming from him. Teams are playing him different and he's not adjusting to that well. I hope he can shake it.

The last two games, he's been playing like he was when McDermott told him to play his way or not play at all. Hopefully it's a temporary thing becasue we'll need him if we want to make any noise, I think. We won last night getting outscored 36-2 by starting centers and 36-5 by centers combined. This was a very impressive win for us.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
Maric may be "unstoppable" but one thing I noticed he does often is hook his defender with his elbow and then rotate around them so that the defender is "held" with his arm. Basically, he chicken wings everyone. He was called for it ONCE last night against Jiri but I believe could have been called about 6 times. Regardless, he is a good player. I don't look forward to playing him next year if he stays.

You're right on. The way he hooks and uses his elbow, you could make a case for a foul on him almost every play.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
I don't understand why anyone is being hard on Ross after last night. Ross was so much better than Jiri it's not even funny. There's a reason Ross played more minutes than Jiri last night.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
I don't understand why anyone is being hard on Ross after last night. Ross was so much better than Jiri it's not even funny. There's a reason Ross played more minutes than Jiri last night.

as a body of work Ross is waaayy behind Jiri, but yes he played better D than Jiri - although Maric got 35 on a poor shooting night. If the guy hits 10-15% better FG% he'd be nearing 50 - an ugly bastard, but what a force!

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
as a body of work Ross is waaayy behind Jiri, but yes he played better D than Jiri - although Maric got 35 on a poor shooting night. If the guy hits 10-15% better FG% he'd be nearing 50 - an ugly bastard, but what a force!

Oh, I'm not saying Ross is a better player than Jiri. Jiri has showed us what he's capable of on the offensive end, and that's much more than Ross is capable of, at least at this point. But there's no doubt who was playing better last night. You can never knock Ross for his hustle, and like McDermott said, he pretty much always does what he's supposed to. He doesn't try to force things like our starting center was doing last night, and he takes what is given to him.

rd4isu

Apr 11, 2006
I too have been hard on Corey all season. It's amazing what confidence can do to one's game! I love the fact that even though he thinks pass first, he's beginning to look for his shot. Being able to knock down some long-balls will only open more driving lanes for him.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Maric is a pro caliber player. He's got the frame and tougness to play pro ball. That being said, I think Marsden did an outstanding job guarding him. Maric owned Jiri all night and Ross at least slowed him down. Mono's a tough tough bug and unless you've had it you just can't understand. I'm amazed Ross is playing at all let alone playing as well as he did last night.

How about Cory McCintosh? He's put a couple good games together. He still seems to get caught in some traps, but at least he's being aggressive and scoring some points.

clones_jer

Apr 16, 2006
IA
Oh, I'm not saying Ross is a better player than Jiri. Jiri has showed us what he's capable of on the offensive end, and that's much more than Ross is capable of, at least at this point. But there's no doubt who was playing better last night. You can never knock Ross for his hustle, and like McDermott said, he pretty much always does what he's supposed to. He doesn't try to force things like our starting center was doing last night, and he takes what is given to him.

he looked good last night, but I wonder if it might be a little like when Yao Ming plays Shaq. Yao puts up his best games when he's dealing with a big center, and seems slow and confused much of the time when smaller guys guard him. Ross may have seemed better last night because his matchup is a deliberate past presence and that is the type of player Ross matches up with well (if "well" is Maric scoring 30+, but I digress). Jiri still seemed quicker than Maric, but once he's backed down - its over. Jiri's definately not a Cato who'll send it into the stands - its either a foul, points or both.

If Ross adds some poundage without losing any of the little quickness he has he'll be a really important piece to our puzzle. Just don't get him any slower or skinnier.

Help Support Us

Become a patron