Game watch n DM

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
I have tickets to the Des Moines session all day on Thursday. What would be a "sports bar" that I could walk to easily to watch the Isu game?

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
this would be closer and a better suggestion than mine - kinda forgot about this one.
Yours were good too, Farmin. A few more blocks, but once you're down there, you have a plethora of choices. My guess is BBs will be elbow to elbow.

I understand that there will be a game watch set up at the Exhibition Hall across the street -- and beverages will be available.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I'm concerned with just how packed these places are going to be tomorrow. I don't have tickets to the tourney but I plan to head downtown by 10am to take in the festivities and with tomorrow being St. Paddy's day along with the tournament in town I can imagine it is going to be a complete mess of people like we aren't used to even compared to what a busy summer night on Court Ave. would be.

If I had to guess even with Buzzard Billy's opening up the downstairs being that it is just a block from the arena that may be the busiest place of anywhere downtown since it's very convenient for the NCAA crowd and out of towners who aren't familiar with all the places to go to. The Iowa Tap Room is a place I may venture to at some point, it's a little off the beaten path from the arena and Court Ave. so that may be a safe bet to get a spot. I'm probably going to start by checking out what there is going on around the arena by 10am then working my way towards Court and hoping somewhere like Johnny's, Legends, or even Beer Can Alley might have an open stool at the bar I can just hang out at till the ISU game is over. I'm just expecting the worse as far as the crowd goes and hoping I luck into finding a place at the right time that isn't packed wall to wall when I walk in.

DSMCy

Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
I was just about to post the same thing CydTracked.

Any bar within walking distance of downtown is going to be packed tomorrow. There's no way you'll be able to just walk into a bar at 12:45 to catch ISU.

Help Support Us

Become a patron