Friday OT #2 - Bored Games

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Are there any card or board games that you love, and/or at which you excel?

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
We have a couple of Euchre tournaments every with about 4-5 tables of people. Winner is based on how many points you get. If you win, you stay at the table and the two losers from another table come over. You can't play with the same partner the next game. We've played this for about 10+ years and I have yet to ever partner up with the event organizer.

Isualum13

Apr 27, 2018
Cribbage is probably my favorite. Haven't played backgammon in a long time, but that probably falls in 2nd. Games where there is a strategy that can give you the best chance, but also a new player can sit down with an experienced player and have a realistic chance to win due to the uncertainty of cards/dice roles. The closer games get to 100% luck or 100% skill, the less interested I am.

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Pitch was always our family game, when we went to dad's side of the family. Love 5-hand pitch.

Mom's side was euchre. Played with my grandparents on that side from the time we were like 6. Don't care for it now, basically, bid, play one trick, throw them in since you know what's happening. Too simple.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Pitch was always our family game, when we went to dad's side of the family. Love 5-hand pitch.

Mom's side was euchre. Played with my grandparents on that side from the time we were like 6. Don't care for it now, basically, bid, play one trick, throw them in since you know what's happening. Too simple.

You don't happen to have a link to the rules on how to play Pitch do you? We used to play when I was at ISU almost 30 years ago, and I loved it, but haven't played it forever and don't remember how?

CRcyclone6

Bookie
Dec 27, 2007
Cedar Rapids
Wow there's a blast from the past. I haven't even thought about that since I was a very little kid. Played a few times with my paternal granfdfather, was the only thing he would play besides cards.

And we still play on the board my wife had as a kid. She'll be 50 in Feb. Our 9yr old certainly gets aggravated by this game.

• Funny
Reactions: CascadeClone

20eyes

May 15, 2020
I love playing 500. My parents have played with mostly the same group of people once a month for over 30 years.
When I was about 12 I was at a buddy's sleepover who's dad was a doctor. Got to be about 10pm and he came home from the hospital, saw us messing around with the cards and taught us all how to play 500. Still my favorite card game, love it.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
Monopoly was the family game for years, but caused issues. Now we've expanded to Ticket to Ride, T2R - Rails and Sails, Catan, Scythe, House on Haunted Hill...

Help Support Us

Become a patron