Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
@ruxCYtable came through with another great thread idea! Here it is:

What are ridiculous things your parents/grandparents or even you do/did to because they were cheap-ass tightwads?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
5 for $5 Arbys was a pretty regular deal in my house in high school.

Metabolism and being in sports year round was my friend at the time.

Reactions: Angie

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
Mar 27, 2006
I'll go grocery shopping, and put back a relatively inexpensive item because "$5.99 is too much to pay for a frozen pizza!" but then walk directly over to the meat counter and drop $25-$30 on a couple of steaks and not think anything of it.

I realize the steak is better in damn near every way. But my 6 year old would probably prefer the pizza.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
College Cooler was an expert at the cheap. Sunday meals of Cub Foods samples happened more often than I'm proud of.

Fresh outta college, Totinos party pizza, PB&J and ramen were still in the regular rotation for longer than necessary. We also used to wash out Ziploc bags and reuse them.

These days, I make a big deal about the cost of subscription services (Hulu, Sirius) that I'll use, but have little issue dropping that same amount of money on something stupid on impulse.

Last edited:

NDMARTIN2015

Jun 7, 2018
Des Moines
My dad worked 80 hour weeks until I was about 10. Tuesday was my mom’s time to shine, because it was Taco Tuesday at the local Taco Johns and dollar movie rentals at Video Warehouse. She would pick us up from school and first take us to Fareway where we would pick out a single can of “fastco” soda off of the flat packs, which were ~.25 cents, then we would rent 4 movies for 4 bucks. Lastwe would pick up .49 cent crispy tacos. We probably watched each movie 3-4 times over the course of a week.

Video Killed the Radio Star, Movie Gallery killed the Video Warehouse, Netflix killed off Movie Gallery, and taco Tuesday is like 1.50 for a crispy taco now.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
College Cooler was an expert at the cheap. Sunday meals of Cub Foods samples happened more often than I'm proud of.

Fresh outta college, Totinos party pizza, PB&J and ramen were still in the regular rotation for longer than necessary. We also used to wash out Ziploc bags and reuse them.

These days, I make a big deal about the cost of subscription services (Hulu, Sirius) that I'll use, but have little issue dropping that same amount of money on something stupid on impulse.
My mom still does this. She was born right before WWII.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
I remember as a kid my parents trying to switch to the milk bags from Kwik Star. Back then Kwik Star was the gross gas station in Marshalltown and you had to buy the pitcher to put the milk bags in. No mom, we’re not doing this….

Help Support Us

Become a patron