Big 12 Media Days - Football - 2021

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
First comment " There’s not really a reason you should look at Iowa State and think “yeah, they should be in the top ten” the last few years. They’ve done some fascinating things there that are well beyond expectations. "

So we are overachievers, but not worthy to be placed within the brethren of college football royalty? They really don't like that we are challenging them. The whole injury thing gets brought up A TON. But what teams outside of Bama, Clemson and Ohio St can have a guy on the level of Purdy and Hall go down and not miss a beat?? If Rattler goes down, OU could go 7-5 or 8-4
Purdy and Hall are probably worth one win each above their replacements. But both position rooms have pedigree that suggests that with a little luck and swift development that that could prove conservative. It seems there’s a lot of confidence in Dekkers and Brock, specifically.

Reactions: Aclone

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
Very first question for Campbell from the ESPNU guys…“Why are you still in Ames?” Classy

That jerk was Brian Davis of the Austin American Statesman.

After CMC gave his very controlled and thoughtful "be somebody vs do something" response, I would have loved to heard Matt end by saying-- "and Brian, since you are evidently in the somebody crowd, you'll never be Berry Tramel."

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Purdy and Hall are probably worth one win each above their replacements. But both position rooms have pedigree that suggests that with a little luck and swift development that that could prove conservative. It seems there’s a lot of confidence in Dekkers and Brock, specifically.

Hunter Dekkers has multiples of more talent than Kyle Kempt. The later won a game in Lincoln against Heisman Trophy winner and #1 draft pick Baker Mayfield in Norman. Things happen and the collective unit of the team has improved by leaps and bounds to cover other areas.

If I would have told you that ISU would have Sean Foster as the starting left tackle, 2 freshman on the right side of the line and the best lineman go down in week 1. Yet still have the best season for a line in recent history. In CMC and Andrews we trust

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Never in my life had I seen a more arrogant team and fan base than OU in Dallas last year. In their defense, they’ve absolutely earned it, but it was unreal to see how cocky they all were. From the video they played before the game showing off all their Big 12 championships, to the way their players and fans acted it was a sight.
Well when you win the conference like 10 years in a row...

Reactions: SolarGarlic

Thorongil Clone

Striding Forward, Ranging Far and Wide
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2021
Reactions: cyclones12321

convoluteme

Jul 29, 2019
One thing that goes unnoticed by outside entities is the addition of Coach Andrews for this team.. We were NOTICABLY stronger and more physical with him after a weird and partial COVID off season. Not hard to imagine that a full winter and spring with him will see another leap up

In the podcast CW just dropped, Eisworth said he's up 10-12 lbs from last year and feels the best he ever has. Let's get hyped!

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
In the podcast CW just dropped, Eisworth said he's up 10-12 lbs from last year and feels the best he ever has. Let's get hyped!

I'm several podcasts behind on my queue. It sounds like I need to listen

I'm family friends with a starter on offense. He can't talk highly enough about the results he is seeing in mobility and strength heading into fall camp. There is a a FREAK on defense that isn't getting much discussion who is set to SHINE this year

Reactions: Aclone and bozclone

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
I'm several podcasts behind on my queue. It sounds like I need to listen

I'm family friends with a starter on offense. He can't talk highly enough about the results he is seeing in mobility and strength heading into fall camp. There is a a FREAK on defense that isn't getting much discussion who is set to SHINE this year
You didn’t ask us to guess, but I’ve always been on the Cordarrius Bailey hype train…

Reactions: GingerNinja

cyclones12321

Feb 21, 2009
Newton Ia
First comment " There’s not really a reason you should look at Iowa State and think “yeah, they should be in the top ten” the last few years. They’ve done some fascinating things there that are well beyond expectations. "

So we are overachievers, but not worthy to be placed within the brethren of college football royalty? They really don't like that we are challenging them. The whole injury thing gets brought up A TON. But what teams outside of Bama, Clemson and Ohio St can have a guy on the level of Purdy and Hall go down and not miss a beat?? If Rattler goes down, OU could go 7-5 or 8-4
Also laughed at them saying we have no nfl talent

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
I wonder if they will just make teams forfeit this year if they can't field a healthy enough team?

"At Iowa State, coach Matt Campbell says his team’s vaccination rate is encouraging but there is still hesitation, even with the incentive of no regular testing.

“That’s a big incentive and yet there is still a question of … why?” Campbell says. “We’re dealing with a society and that is how it’s going to be and that’s O.K., but you’ve got to be ready to educate them.”

Last edited:

jsb

Mar 7, 2008
I wonder if they will just make teams forfeit this year if they can't field a healthy enough team?

I think they almost have to. There's no built in buy weeks and a built in buffer before the championship game.

I think Campbell said a few months ago we were at about 70% of the team vaccinated. Sure hope we are closer to 100% now.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
OU football and KU basketball fans have A LOT in common with each other
tenor.gif

Reactions: WalkingCY

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
I think they almost have to. There's no built in buy weeks and a built in buffer before the championship game.

I think Campbell said a few months ago we were at about 70% of the team vaccinated. Sure hope we are closer to 100% now.
I think they should make it a forfeit but it also wouldn't surprise me if they just declare it a "no contest" instead unfortunately.

Help Support Us

Become a patron