Big 12 Media Days - Football - 2021

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club

Pete Mundo and the Heartland crew just dropped their All-Big 12 team

Hall, Hutch, Kolar and Newell made the offensive team

Rose and Eisworth on defense

OU lands 7. ISU with 6. TCU has 4. WVU and Okie St with 3. Texas only has 2... Nothing on offense. The argument could be made to include Bijan Robinson

Last edited:

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Starts Wednesday down in Dallas

What are people hoping to hear or see this season?
My #1 is the corner opposite Anthony Johnson being just as solid as AJ.

My #2 is another WR threat emerging as a threat outside of X and Tariq. Joe Scates or Damien Porter might be the best bettor that.

My #3 is a better pass protector (Grant Treiber or Tyler Miller?) nudging Sean Foster out of some reps at LT.

Am I being greedy?

I figure everything else will take care of itself. I’m not concerned at all about the DL.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Northwest Iowa

My #2 is another WR threat emerging as a threat outside of X and Tariq. Joe Scates or Damien Porter might be the best bettor that.

My #3 is a better pass protector (Grant Treiber or Tyler Miller?) nudging Sean Foster out of some reps at LT.

Am I being greedy?

I figure everything else will take care of itself. I’m not concerned at all about the DL.

I actually think we are pretty deep at WR. Sean Shaw, Scates, and Noel are all guys I think can contribute quite a bit this year. The secondary is one me of my concerns, along with how well the line will defend the run

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011

Am I being greedy?

Opposite corner to AJ is absolutely the biggest question mark on the defense. Thanks to Amos transfering in. Or else it would be free safety.

I'm really curious to hear about the 2nd unit on the D-line. We know what we'll get in Zach Petersen, but how about DT and other ends?? Blake Peterson is on year 3. That's usually when guys hit their stride. Is Cory Suttle ready to play, etc/

WR spot needs to get more explosive. Period. Just hope we have the guys to seperate

• Agree
Reactions: StevieISU23

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
I actually think we are pretty deep at WR. Sean Shaw, Scates, and Noel are all guys I think can contribute quite a bit this year. The secondary is one me of my concerns, along with how well the line will defend the run
Isaiah Lee started nine games last year, and his forte is plugging the middle against the run. Most seem to have missed it, but the coaches are extremely high on JR Singleton. Maybe higher than Noel, on a level with TJ Tampa. And then there’s Howard Brown, whom I expect to see play this Fall.

Outside we have Enyi and Zach Petersen with experience, who are both better against the run. That descriptor might fit Blake Peterson and Johnny Wilson as well.

If I were worried about anything about the DL, it would be the pass rush. However, I expect Corey Suttle to be the next guy in line after Will McDonald. And for some of the other guys to step up their pass rush game.

BTW, the coaches compared Suttle to a longer JaQuan in the Spring.

Oh, and one of the best kept secrets on the team is Cordarrius Bailey. A year or so ago, one of his teammates described Cordarrius as the “hardest hitter” on the team. Alas, the poor guy has had two Achilles injuries in a row, that wiped out the last two seasons.

CoachHines3

Oct 29, 2019

the part about asking CMC and Riley about other coaching opportunities made me lol. rand dawg putting that in the article and getting out ahead of it so people can now expect him to ask those questions.

"Someone’s certain to ask about their coaching futures; that always happens in gatherings like this. Campbell has said repeatedly he’s liking every second of his existence as Iowa State’s coach, but that won’t stop reporters from asking about the NFL, etc. Riley reportedly has turned down NFL requests, too, and in a way, it’s good to get these predictable questions out of the way now, instead of during seasons in which both teams could end in the College Football Playoff."

• Haha
Reactions: Cyclonepride

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.

the part about asking CMC and Riley about other coaching opportunities made me lol. rand dawg putting that in the article and getting out ahead of it so people can now expect him to ask those questions.

"Someone’s certain to ask about their coaching futures; that always happens in gatherings like this. Campbell has said repeatedly he’s liking every second of his existence as Iowa State’s coach, but that won’t stop reporters from asking about the NFL, etc. Riley reportedly has turned down NFL requests, too, and in a way, it’s good to get these predictable questions out of the way now, instead of during seasons in which both teams could end in the College Football Playoff."
Please. Randy is trying to be wise and sagacious, and appear tolerant when the other “less informed” reporters from other schools inevitably ask those questions.

You and I both know full well that most of them assume CMC is taking off at the drop of a hat. Or, as the narrative is now, “after he looses everything to graduation” after this season. It’s just ignorance.

Reactions: CoachHines3

BillBrasky4Cy

Dec 10, 2013

Am I being greedy?

I feel like the staff has already addressed #2.

BillBrasky4Cy

Dec 10, 2013
Please. Randy is trying to be wise and sagacious, and appear tolerant when the other “less informed” reporters from other schools inevitably ask those questions.

You and I both know full well that most of them assume CMC is taking off at the drop of a hat. Or, as the narrative is now, “after he looses everything to graduation” after this season. It’s just ignorance.

Uncle Randy is seriously the worst. I refuse to read any of his content.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
The tiers are pretty set this year in the Big 12 if you ask me:

Tier 1A:
OU - More talent, won how many Big 12 titles
Tier1B:
ISU - Time to prove we are not a 1 hit wonder

Tier 2:
TCU - If they can score in the high 20's, they win most of those games
Texas - Talent vs production debate
OSU - Have ISU's number but can't beat OU

Tier 3:
WVU - Tier 2 team with better QB play
Baylor - Biggest unknown for 2021 season
KSU - Tier 2 team before Skylar went down. Horrendous without Thompson
Tech - Can they flip the 1 score losses into wins?

Kansas Tier:
KU - Can they beat USD to avoid a winless season?

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017

Tier 1A:
Tier1B:

Tier 2:

Tier 3:

Kansas Tier:
I see Tech as it’s own tier above KU but below WVU, KSU and Baylor, who all have potential to jump up a tier. I think Tech would be maxing out in Tier 3. I might see TCU as Tier 3 also. But otherwise this is perfect.

Tlyon

Oct 26, 2017

Tier 1A:
Tier1B:

Tier 2:

Tier 3:

Kansas Tier:

I’d move WVU to tier 2 or 2.5. A lot of people point to Doege as their much needed improvement. I believe this to be misguided, and rather their receivers were quite poor last year. Doege’s stats weren’t bad last year by most measures. Completed 64% of passes 14 tds only 4ints. He reminds me a bit of Kempt, not much arm strength but takes care of the ball and can hold on to it too long at times. Their receivers were plagued with drops all year and it was painful to watch.

Though I could just be higher on the mountaineers than most

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
I’d move WVU to tier 2 or 2.5. A lot of people point to Doege as their much needed improvement. I believe this to be misguided, and rather their receivers were quite poor last year. Doege’s stats weren’t bad last year by most measures. Completed 64% of passes 14 tds only 4ints. He reminds me a bit of Kempt, not much arm strength but takes care of the ball and can hold on to it too long at times. Their receivers were plagued with drops all year and it was painful to watch.

Though I could just be higher on the mountaineers than most

I get that point. IMO, WVU's ceiling is more in-line with a Baylor, KState and Tech. I believe Tier 2 teams have shots at the Big 12 title with an ISU or OU slip up. It's VERY hard to see a possible way for WVU, KSt, Baylor or Tech to win 9+ games. I think UT, TCU and Okie St are closer

WVU could easily go 1-2 in the non-con since they play Maryland and Va Tech. They win all three non-con games. I'll become a believer. First Big 12 game is OU.. That's a potential for a 1-3 start to the season... We'll know quickly if they are for real

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
To be fair, KU’s new coach is bringing half a dozen Buffalo players—plus a grad transfer who was headed there—with him. That might make a difference.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I think West Virginia and even K State belong in tier two. That leaves just Tech for tier 3. I actually think wvu will be pretty good this season and K State will be solid and win a game or two they shouldn’t.
I’ve got both teams going 8-4

• Disagree
Reactions: isufbcurt

Help Support Us

Become a patron