Best pizza in DSM?

• Centro

• Fongs

• Bordenaros

• Dough Co.

• Truman’s

• Gusto

• Scornovacca's

• Other (leave in comments, no fast food pizza.)

Results are only viewable after voting.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
Pagliai’s in Johnston is one of my favorites. I have heard the one in Grinnell is better, but never been there and don't want to drive that far for pizza.

Reactions: DSM4Cy

NickTheGreat

Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I haven't been in a while, but Wig and Pen was pretty damn good last time I was there.

Felix and Oscars is good, but takes about 6 hours to get it.

I like Fongs but it's hardly "pizza" at least the way I order it.

Gusto has been good in the past, but I feel like they grew too fast and/or were mismanaged.

But for cheap and dirty pizza we do Northern Lights.

And for one step below that, it's Casey's.

Reactions: Rods79 and cyguy_07

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Papa’s in Polk City
Sadly, Papa's has gone down in quality as of late. We're regulars as we don't live far away. I'm not talking down on them, just have reasonable expectations that it might not be the same as it was pre-covid.

Taste of New York is my favorite. Fantastic NY style pizza.

Last edited:

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
Sadly, Papa's has gone down in quality as of late. We're regulars as we don't live far away. I'm not talking down on them, just have reasonable expectations that it might not be the same as it was pre-covid.

Taste of Italy is my favorite. Fantastic NY style pizza.
We live not far from Polk City. Haven’t had them in maybe 2 months but it was still great then.

ISUTex

May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
It certainly was not a suit and tie occasion when you went. However, that was part of the "atmosphere". Most of the time I went was after work or a softball tourney and we looked like rat infested holes ourselves.......so we fit right in. But the pizza and onion rings were an E-ticket attraction.

Like cymac said.....they have a new place on Maury. Going to try it this week. If it is as good as back in the day.......I would put them up there with the best anywhere in the city has to offer.

We ate there a lot when i was a kid. After baseball games, or after trips to good old South Ridge Mall. I loved their fried jumbo shrimp. Just remember softball/little league trophies, and it smelling like grease, cigarettes and mice.

Reactions: Macloney

DSM4Cy

Apr 4, 2006
Grinnell, IA
Pagliai’s in Johnston is one of my favorites. I have heard the one in Grinnell is better, but never been there and don't want to drive that far for pizza.

Grinnell and Johnston locations have very similar menus and recipes. As someone who grew up about 5 minutes from the Johnston one and now lives less than that from the Grinnell location, I'd put them right on par with each other. Both are fantastic. Iowa City one is a bit different but still great.

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006

Taste of Italy is my favorite. Fantastic NY style pizza.
Shouldn't that be "Taste of not Italy" then? :cool:

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I have never been to Uptown Food & Beverage or most of these places cause not in DM Metro but I am voting for the Captain

Reactions: JP4CY

Help Support Us

Become a patron