Assuming the Big XII implodes, losing the Big XII tournament in KC will be a tragedy

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Yeah that’s the problem. Of course there is a lot of fun things fairly close. But the whole point of these things is that you don’t need to drive around.

I agree.

What people were saying was "Chicago should never host any NCAA events".

That's utter nonsense. Chicago is perfectly fine as an NCAA tournament site. Maybe it's not ideal as KC or Indy, but it's not the gates of hell to play at the UC.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I went there for the Duke game when we played a one off when McD was the coach and I went there for the Sweet 16 game as well. I agree the part of town is fine. It's not great but I didn't feel unsafe over there or anything.

I was so excited for that game with great tickets just a few rows up...knew we had talent on the team...and that game was when I realized regardless of talent it was just not going to work with McD.

The immediate area around the UC is more just empty and stagnant, but the area between downtown to the east and the area between WickerPark/Bucktown/UK Village to the north have gentrified rapidly.

In '02 to '10 range I wouldn't have walked or biked those stretches. When I moved away in '16 I would bike or walk those areas on occasion but not late at night by myself.

The bottom line is this would be a WONDERFUL problem for ISU basketball to have because it means we'd be in the Big Ten. It's a non factor.

Help Support Us

Become a patron