Assuming the Big XII implodes, losing the Big XII tournament in KC will be a tragedy

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
It's just a terrible location. Maybe it was better in the late 80s/early 90s when they built it. But it's so far from anything cool. And they didn't even really build up the area around it. It just sucks even though it's the biggest arena in America (ignoring roofed NFL stadiums)

It's only ten minute drive to wicker park/bucktown where I used to live and fav neighborhood in Chicago. Also close to downtown.

What sucks is nothing great walking distance, plenty of fun areas a very short drive. Also that it's not near a red or blue line train.

BryceC

Mar 23, 2006
It's only ten minute drive to wicker park/bucktown where I used to live and fav neighborhood in Chicago. Also close to downtown.

What sucks is nothing great walking distance, plenty of fun areas a very short drive. Also that it's not near a red or blue line train.

Yeah that’s the problem. Of course there is a lot of fun things fairly close. But the whole point of these things is that you don’t need to drive around.

• Agree
Reactions: ISUCyclones2015

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I’ll go ahead and say it - the United Center sucks and no college event should ever be hosted in Chicago.

The arena itself it is not bad but the location is horrible and you have to drive through some rough parts of Chicago to get to it. Remember going there in HS in the late 90's to a Bulls game and my uncle who was driving us told us all to not look directly at anyone when we had to stop at at intersection as it was not a good part of town.

KC is such a great town for a tournament. P&L right across the street and hotels within walking distance. Even if you get a hotel just outside of the P&L its still in an area you feel safe going back to at night. So frustrating to see all the great things about the Big 12 possibly getting ruined by 2 schools that think things are greener on the other side of the fence. Texas could essentially become the SEC version of Nebraska in the Big 10 with a program who once was a powerhouse still living in the past and is just mediocre now thinking a move will result in them returning to dominance.

I realize this is all about money but from a competition standpoint it makes no sense for them leaving a conference where they have been catered to and have more power than any other schools to a conference where Alabama is king and they are just another fish in the pond. Highly doubt the SEC is going to have a "horns down" rule for Texas just to keep them happy. Give it 5 years or so and Texas could very well be the malcontent and PITA of the SEC like Nebraska is in the Big 10. No one in the SEC will care about the 2005 National Championship when Alabama has won 6 since then just like no one cares about Nebraska and their last championship in 1999 anymore. I was at a point that I thought the Big 12 was onto something with a 10 or 12 team model where the competition was not watered down and with the round robin format there was no team that could benefit from not playing the top schools in the conference in a given year. In the Big 12 not only do you have to run the gauntlet in the regular season but you have to play the other top team in the conference a 2nd time in FB or in BB sometimes a 3rd time. Going to be really interesting to see what happens when the dust settles on this mess.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Yes, Kansas City would be depressed (emotionally and financially) about that as would most of us ISU fans. Is there any way you could still give OU and TX their 1.5 share (I know, I cringe to give them anything) and add 2 significant teams to boost the Big12 overall and go two divisions again of 6 each? Pipe dream, right?

In all honesty I don't know why we keep catering to Texas other than their $ base. I posted some of this in another thread but if you go back and look over their FB and BB records over the past decade or so they have been very mediocre. Since Mac Brown was forced out after 2013 they are now on their 3rd FB coach and went 48-39 and not even making a bowl game 2 of those year. Take out a 10 win season they had in 2018 and they haven't won 10 or more games since 2009. Basketball has been a mess too. They last time they finished ranked in the top 25 was in 2010-11 and have not been to the Sweet 16 since 2008. Yet this is a school that still thinks they are a blueblood program and have bullied their way into getting favorable deals over the years.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Well to be honest if the Big 12 continued my guess they would move it to Dallas before long anyway. I thought that was the original plan anyway. Have to continue to keep TX happy in any way possible.

I'll respectfully disagree with that statement. They tried it and it didn't do well. I could have seen the women's tourney moving Baylor would draw well in TX. The people that went to Oklahoma City said it was a good town for the tourney way better than Dallas was.

Reactions: 2speedy1

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
Dec 19, 2010
Dallas, TX

Ah, so not even close to any area I am talking about? Cool.

Chicago is great. The location of the United Center in Chicago is god awful

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa

You just explained why it sucks

Reactions: ISUCyclones2015

alarson

Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Besides location\convenience, there's something to be said for smaller cities where the tournament is a big deal within that city. When the big 12 tournament was in dallas, it wasnt the major event for that city that it is in KC (or even was in OKC). Chicago I imagine would be more similar to Dallas in that way.

Having been to Indy for other events, I imagine it would be more like KC, but still not as good.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Besides location\convenience, there's something to be said for smaller cities where the tournament is a big deal within that city. When the big 12 tournament was in dallas, it wasnt the major event for that city that it is in KC (or even was in OKC). Chicago I imagine would be more similar to Dallas in that way.

Having been to Indy for other events, I imagine it would be more like KC, but still not as good.

Whoever upthread floated the Milwaukee idea, I liked that. Milwaukee was a fun town when ISU played there in the NCAA's a few yrs ago.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007

The West Loop area was desolate when I lived and worked in Chicago (20 somethign years ago), but there was a green line stop that was walkable. However, the last time I was there to see Iowa State in the Sweet 16, the area (at least Madison) had gentrified some what. I just walked back to the Loop from the United Center after the game(s).

BryceC

Mar 23, 2006
The West Loop area was desolate when I lived and worked in Chicago (20 somethign years ago), but there was a green line stop that was walkable. However, the last time I was there to see Iowa State in the Sweet 16, the area (at least Madison) had gentrified some what. I just walked back to the Loop from the United Center after the game(s).

I went there for the Duke game when we played a one off when McD was the coach and I went there for the Sweet 16 game as well. I agree the part of town is fine. It's not great but I didn't feel unsafe over there or anything.

We spent a bunch of time just roaming around Michigan Ave. in ISU shirts. Saw a bunch of other ISU people. I was probably asked literally 10 times by Chicago natives why ISU people were there. They had no idea the Sweet 16 was even happening right around the corner. That's why Chicago sucks as a location, they do not care. KC cared, and that was what was special about it.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

Help Support Us

Become a patron