ANALYSIS: Scouting the Memphis offense

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Love how all the national game pickers acknowledge how screwed we got......and then still pick Memphis to win.
Maybe this game can un-do the bad mojo that still lingers from the Humiliation Bowl set up. Boise St. beat OU in 2007 or whatever because they made the recruiting and momentum victory against us in 2002. Just like we made Wisconsin's program by being their beyatch twice when Barry was building.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I really like the Clones chances. Memphis has feasted on horrible defenses all year. ISU is good and built to stop their offense. Just need to stop big plays. They are still going to score in the 30's, but the flip side is their defense is pretty bad, and gambles a lot. From the highlights that I have seen they are generally pretty poor tacklers, which bodes well for DM and the big, powerful WRs ISU has. Should be a good test for both teams.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Unless you've got a kid on the Memphis squad, how can an ex-Cyclone player and ISU alum be wearing Memphis blue?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I like your analyses, Jay, but it would be nice if you could give us just half a beat more of footage before the snap. On some of the clips it is practically impossible to see the formation or players in motion before everyone starts moving.

Thanks for the look at Memphis.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Co-worker is a Memphis fan and has basically echoed what Jay said. They utilize a lot of misdirection, play-action and RPO and they have a lot of speed. He said their biggest strength has been their QB's ability to roll out and create another threat. I predict we'll give up at least one TD over 50 yards in the game.

He also said that their defense is pretty terrible. I think we'll try to grind out the game on the ground and limit their number of offensive opportunities similar to how we played Tech. If we can force them into a couple punts and then counter with some nice sustained drives, we'll frustrate their offensive game plan and force some mistakes.

I like how we match up and think we win by 11. I'm guessing 35-24

• Optimistic
  • Agree
Reactions: 83cy and ATCy

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Memphis sounds like another offense that will get frustrated by ISU forcing them to constantly go underneath and will eventually force something long. ISU must make them pay when they make that mistake.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

JJIII

Aug 24, 2017
I like your analyses, Jay, but it would be nice if you could give us just half a beat more of footage before the snap. On some of the clips it is practically impossible to see the formation or players in motion before everyone starts moving.

Thanks for the look at Memphis.
I am not wearing Memphis blue in this game. I meant that outside of ISU fandom i can be seen cheering for Memphis.

I realize I did not write that clearly. I can assure you I am a cyclone.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I am not wearing Memphis blue in this game. I meant that outside of ISU fandom i can be seen cheering for Memphis.

I realize I did not write that clearly. I can assure you I am a cyclone.

OK, we're back on track.

ZZZ

Feb 10, 2013
Ames, IA
Started to read this, but then the clips of their offense said the link wasn't there and told me to go to the site where the gifs were created. Tried a different web browser to see if that was the problem, but still gave me the same message. I'm not sure what the issue is

JJIII

Aug 24, 2017
It is my fault, they got deleted from the source and I am efforting to get them put back in. Apologize. Will get it corrected.

Help Support Us

Become a patron