The following is a press release courtesy of Iowa State athletics communications. B
A lawsuit was filed today in Polk County District Court by Nichole Moody, former member of the Iowa State University women’s basketball team and 2015 Iowa State graduate, against the State of Iowa, Iowa State University and women’s head basketball coach William Fennelly. The suit alleges race discrimination and retaliation.
Iowa State University states the following facts:
· The university takes very seriously complaints of discrimination and harassment.
· Approximately one year ago, Moody made complaints to the Iowa State Athletics Department.
· The Athletics Department promptly referred Moody to the university’s Office of Equal Opportunity (EO), which thoroughly reviewed her complaints in the context of university discrimination policies.
· EO conducted a full investigation and was unable to substantiate the complaints of racial discrimination.
· Bill Fennelly has coached women’s basketball at Iowa State since 1995, and is known for his passionate and demanding style of coaching toward all players.
· Iowa State takes issue with the allegations and looks forward to responding in full to the lawsuit as the legal process proceeds.