That’s what this time of year is for us here at Cyclone Fanatic.
It’s a good thing though. We freaking love it.
It all began last Friday when the 7th ranked Cyclones edged past a decent Colorado team in Sioux Falls. There was football on Saturday and then wrestling and women’s hoops on Sunday. Today, Paul Rhoads will meet the media in preparation for Saturday’s 11 a.m. kick at Kansas State and of course tonight is the home basketball season opener for Steve Prohm’s team.
Lots to write about.
1) I’ll start with hoops because I’m into being happy and that sort of thing.
The only thing I really know about Chicago State is what I saw from this program in 2010 – when Iowa State won 104-63. I remember leaving Hilton that night thinking two things…1) That’s the worst D-I basketball team I’ve ever seen and 2) I actually feel sorry for those Chicago State players, who are shipped around from town to town in the non-con to pay for their school’s entire athletics budget for the year.
2) What do I want to see tonight?
Considering this is basically another exhibition, the potential development of the bench is what I’m looking for. Will Simeon Carter get some minutes? Let’s see more of what Hallice Cooke can do. Give Naz and those hips a break.
I’d also like to see who guys who feed off of confidence more than anyone else on the roster absolutely go off, those men being Abdel Nader and Matt Thomas.
Feel the flow. Work it.
3) Hoops junkies: Baylor plays at Oregon tonight. It’s a 10:30 tip on ESPN2 meaning that gives you plenty of time to go to Hilton, get home, take a shower and crack open a beer for round two.
You’re welcome (and tell your wives I am sorry).
4) I almost forgot, Iowa State will have an unofficial visitor in the house tonight. His name is Cameron Lard, a 6-foot-9 power forward out of New Orleans. He’s a William Small recruit who I frankly don’t know a ton about. I do however find his claimed offers from Baylor, Kansas State and LSU to be a tad bit suspicious. There is hardly any information about this young man out there, which makes me scratch my head for player ranked in Rivals 150. If everything clears and he wants to be a Cyclone, Iowa State could technically sign the kid this week for the class of 2016. Just stay tuned. I’ll keep you guys updated.
Saturday was so freaking painful.
My heart went out to those seniors. That was as gut wrenching of a loss as a guy could draw up.
Think about how close these guys have been…
Toledo. Oklahoma State. Even Iowa to a point.
That’s a painful season. Hopefully things get turned around the next two weeks.
6) I don’t really know how to approach Saturday’s 11:00 a.m. kick at Kansas State (FOX Sports 1). I can see this going two different ways.
The first (glass half-full), Iowa State is a better football team than its record indicates and will beat the teams it should this year, which includes Kansas State, a team that has lost six in a row.
The second (glass half-empty), Iowa State will be a demoralized football team after what I’ve already noted was as painful of a loss as a guy can draw up.
I’m feeling optimistic today. Iowa State is a 6-point underdog, but give me the Clones by 14. It’ll be a big win for Paul Rhoads and the boys.
7) I wasn’t surprised that Oklahoma beat Baylor on Saturday. The Sooners are simply a better team. In fact, I’d say they are the second best team in America right now. What I wouldn’t give to see and Oklahoma and Alabama play tonight on Monday Night Football…
8) It was a tough loss yesterday at Drake for the Iowa State women’s basketball team.
There was a serious lid on the bucket at the Knapp Center as Bill Fennelly’s team missed a handful of bunnies and only made 24 percent of its 3-point attempts.
The real story of the game was in the paint though as Iowa State’s three post players combined to score two points.
I’m excited to watch this team grow though. It’s super young but also very talented. Mark it down: This will be a fun group to watch throughout the winter months.
9) The Minnesota Vikings are in first place in the NFC North, punks.
10) Got questions? Tweet me (@ChrisMWilliams or @CycloneFanatic) with the hashtag #AskCW. I’ll be glad to get you answers.